Scientist- Translational Informatics
DNAnexus, Mountain View
Providing cloud solutions for the global genomics industry.
DNAnexus combines expertise in cloud computing and bioinformatics to create the global network for genomics, operating in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific (including China), South America, and Africa. The secure, scalable, and collaborative cloud-based DNAnexus Platform helps thousands of researchers across a spectrum of industries – biopharmaceutical, bioagricultural, sequencing services, clinical diagnostics, government, and research consortia – accelerate their genomics programs globally.
As a Translational Informatics scientist, you will work on an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and product managers to create a cloud platform that offers users the ability to seamlessly manage and explore the genomic and phenotypic data of millions of samples. You will have the opportunity to work closely with scientists at the world’s top healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies on projects leveraging the power of big data to improve human health. The ideal candidate is a bioinformatician / computational biologist with success in leading research studies combining next-generation sequencing data with various forms of phenotypic, transcriptomic, metabolomic, and other clinical data. She or he will have an extremely strong background in statistics and data analysis including techniques for the quality control of NGS data and the proper handling of missing data.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and apply statistical approaches for analyzing large, complex genomic data sets in conjunction with clinical, phenotypic, and multi-omics data.
- Work with a team of UI designers to develop visualizations that allow domain scientists to quickly and accurately interpret complex analysis results.
- Work with a team of product managers to identify product features that will maximize the scientific utility of the DNAnexus Translational Informatics Suite.
- Engage with clinical and pharmaceutical scientists to understand their data, data models, and research goals.
- Work with clinical and pharmaceutical scientists to design quality control, data harmonization, and data cleanup. strategies for large, complex data sets.
- Define solutions that meet customer requirements, working closely with product management, UX, and Engineering to drive those solutions through development, testing, deployment, and customer validation in an agile environment.
- Interface and partner with individuals at all levels of the DNAnexus business.
Qualifications / Experience
- M.S. in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or related biotechnology field; Ph.D. and interdisciplinary exposure preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, genomics, statistical genetics, population genetics, systems biology, and/or translational research in either academic or industry settings.
- Experience working directly with partners in the life sciences industry is a strong plus.
- Strong plus for direct experience in clinical biomarker discovery and development
- Previous experience in a customer-facing science position a plus.
Desired knowledge and skills
- Deep understanding of existing techniques for managing and analyzing genomic, clinical/phenotypic, pharmacokinetic, and other molecular data (transcriptomic, metabolomic, proteomic, microbiome), and the challenges in aggregating datasets for reuse in follow on studies.
- An understanding of human genetics and the effects on human diseases, e.g. oncology, immunology, cardiovascular.
- Strong computational ability and knowledge of programming languages used for data analysis such as Python, R, Julia, etc.
- Understanding of statistical models used in translational informatics including linear and logistic regression, linear mixed models, and collapsing analysis.
- Experience working with GWAS/PheWAS toolsets, e.g. PLINK, Hail, ADAM.
- Familiarity with software development and project management processes and tools (agile, JIRA, wiki, etc.).
- Experience with high-performance computing and database management tools such as SQL, Spark, Hive, and Hadoop.
- Experience working with large-scale omics datasets, e.g. ENCODE, 1000 Genomes, ExAC/gnomAD, TCGA.
- Familiarity with integrated tools such as GDC DAVE, cBioPortal, i2b2 tranSMART, Spotfire, UCSC Genome Browser, and Ingenuity Pathway Analysis.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial “can do” attitude with the ability to find creative, pragmatic solutions.
- Available for occasional travel.
Based in Mountain View, California, DNAnexus is experiencing rapid growth and is searching for the best talent to join our team. Key investors include Google Ventures, TPG Biotech, Wuxi NextCODE and Claremont Creek.
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply today!
ABOUT DNAnexus A Global Network for Genomics About DNAnexus DNAnexus provides a global network for sharing and management of genomic data and tools to accelerate genomics. The DNAnexus cloud-based platform is optimized to address the challenges of security, scalability, and collaboration, for organizations that are pursuing genomic-based approaches to health, in the clinic and in the research lab. The DNAnexus team is made up of experts in computational biology and cloud computing who work with organizations to tackle some of the most exciting opportunities in human health, making it easier—and in many cases feasible—to work with genomic data. With DNAnexus, organizations can stay a step ahead in leveraging genomics to achieve their goals. The future of human health is in genomics. DNAnexus brings it all together. What We Do The DNAnexus platform powers genomics by allowing customers to address these challenges: Analyze massive volumes of raw sequencing data quickly, securely, and economically; Integrate genomic data with clinical and other phenotypic data in a secure and compliant environment; Collaborate seamlessly and safely. We’ve helped top biopharmaceutical companies, leading genome centers, pioneering diagnostic test providers, and consortia globally accelerate their genomics programs.
Want to learn more about DNAnexus? Visit DNAnexus's website.
Jobs You May Like
Management Leadership For Tomorrow, Bethesda, MD
Senior Data Scientist
Red Ventures, Austin, TX
Analyst Relations Manager
Confluent, Palo Alto, California
Legal Counsel, Transactions
Sonatype, London, UK
Director of Analytics
Flatiron School, New York, NY
Natural Language Processing Scientist
AppZen, San Jose, California