xVantage Solutions Scientist (Bioinformatics)
DNAnexus, SF Bay Area or Boston, MA
Providing cloud solutions for the global genomics industry.
DNANexus xVantage Solutions Scientist (Bioinformatics)
DNAnexus combines expertise in cloud computing and bioinformatics to create the global network for genomics. The secure, scalable, and collaborative cloud-based DNAnexus Platform helps thousands of researchers across a spectrum of industries – biopharmaceutical, bioagricultural, sequencing services, clinical diagnostics, government, and research consortia – accelerate their genomics programs globally.
The DNAnexus xVantage team works with clients to deliver bioinformatics software solutions. As an xVantage Solutions Scientist, you will...
- Have a strong background in analyzing large genomics data sets, and a broad knowledge of bioinformatics methods and the tradeoffs and best practices involved in applying these methods at scale.
- Serve as an expert to DNANexus clients during the sales process, from demonstrating the capabilities of the DNAnexus platform to recommending technologies,implementation strategies and developing proposals.
- Become a trusted advisor to DNAnexus clients at all phases of their lifecycle, delivering training, developing solutions on occasion, and ensuring clients succeed with DNAnexus technologies and services.
- Build on your expertise in software, bioinformatics, and genomics to become a guru who helps scientists at the world’s top academic centers, pharmaceutical companies, government research institutions, diagnostics companies, and healthcare providers to leverage the power of the DNAnexus platform, applications, and solutions for their cutting edge research, diagnostics delivery, and therapy development.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Generate scientific interest in DNAnexus products by presenting customized demonstrations to potential clients.
- Provide scientific input into the sales process from opportunity qualification through needs identification, designing scientific pipelines, and performing feasibility studies.
- Engage with academic, clinical, and pharmaceutical scientists to understand their data, data models, and research/business goals.
- Define solutions that meet client requirements.
- Promote confidence in DNAnexus technology and products through successful Proof of Concept projects.
- Represent DNAnexus at trade shows and scientific conferences.
- Working closely with scientists, product management, UX, and Engineering to drive those solutions through development, testing, deployment, and client validation in an agile environment.
- Provide initial and continued scientific training on DNAnexus’ platform.
- Be the “scientific face” of DNANexus to our clients - understand and address their needs, work to solve their challenges, and provide “voice of the client” into continuous product improvement and new product development by discussing client ideas and needs for new science and technology, performing proof of principle, and participating in R&D and marketing projects.
Use knowledge of DNAnexus technology solutions and domain knowledge to advise clients on how to best leverage DNANexus products for their success.
Qualifications / Experience
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or related biotechnology field; or M.S. and substantial experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, genomics, statistical genetics, population genetics, systems biology, and/or translational research in either academic or industry settings.
- Previous experience in a client-facing science position working directly with partners in the life sciences industry is a strong plus.
- Active involvement in the scientific/bioinformatics community - peer-reviewed publications, open source software development, conference attendance - considered a strong plus.
Desired knowledge and skills
- Broad understanding of scientific concepts and computational techniques underlying modern genetics and genomics research (including transcriptomic, metabolomic, proteomic, and microbiome data), clinical diagnostics, biomarker discovery, and therapeutic development.
- Strong computational ability and knowledge of programming languages used for data analysis such as Python, and R.
- Knowledge of the benefits and challenges of cloud-based data management and analysis, including hands-on experience with cloud computing.
- Experience with high-performance computing and database management tools such as SQL, Spark, Hive, and Hadoop.
- Understanding of statistical models, machine learning, and AI, including knowledge of which techniques are optimal for solving different classes of problems.
- Experience working with large-scale omics datasets, e.g. ENCODE, 1000 Genomes, ExAC/gnomAD, TCGA.
- In-depth understanding of the bioinformatics market, and the regulations around that market.
- Demonstrated history of innovation, with the ability to independently identify creative, pragmatic solutions.
- Excellent leadership qualities, interpersonal skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with software development and project management processes and tools (agile, JIRA, wiki, etc.).
- Basic understanding and competency with sales concepts and processes.
- Previous experience in a scientific client support role, in-house or in the field desired.
- Must be located (or willing to relocate) within 60 minutes of a major airport; San Francisco Bay Area or Boston preferable, but other locations and home offices will be considered.
- DNANexus xVantage Solutions Scientists are excited about working with clients face-to-face, and may spend up to 60% of their time on non-local travel. Weekend travels will be limited.
Based in Mountain View, California, with offices in San Francisco, Boston, and Prague, DNAnexus is experiencing rapid growth and is searching for the best talent to join our team. Key investors include Google Ventures, Microsoft, and Foresite Capital.
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply today!
ABOUT DNAnexus A Global Network for Genomics About DNAnexus DNAnexus provides a global network for sharing and management of genomic data and tools to accelerate genomics. The DNAnexus cloud-based platform is optimized to address the challenges of security, scalability, and collaboration, for organizations that are pursuing genomic-based approaches to health, in the clinic and in the research lab. The DNAnexus team is made up of experts in computational biology and cloud computing who work with organizations to tackle some of the most exciting opportunities in human health, making it easier—and in many cases feasible—to work with genomic data. With DNAnexus, organizations can stay a step ahead in leveraging genomics to achieve their goals. The future of human health is in genomics. DNAnexus brings it all together. What We Do The DNAnexus platform powers genomics by allowing customers to address these challenges: Analyze massive volumes of raw sequencing data quickly, securely, and economically; Integrate genomic data with clinical and other phenotypic data in a secure and compliant environment; Collaborate seamlessly and safely. We’ve helped top biopharmaceutical companies, leading genome centers, pioneering diagnostic test providers, and consortia globally accelerate their genomics programs.
Want to learn more about DNAnexus? Visit DNAnexus's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.