About Domino Data Lab and our Vision :
Domino Data Lab provides an open, unified platform that enables teams of data scientists to build, validate, deploy and monitor models that deliver breakthrough innovation and competitive advantage. Read more about our data science platform here.
We are at the epicenter of the data science revolution, helping companies build better cars, develop more effective medicine, or simply recommend the best song to play next. Our customers are the most sophisticated analytical organizations in the world, and include Bayer, Allstate, Moody’s Analytics and Instacart, to name a few. Read more about the impact of our platform here.
Domino Data Lab is a San Francisco based startup founded by Nick Elprin and Christopher Yang. We are a Series D company backed by Sequoia Capital, Zetta Venture Partners, Bloomberg Beta, and In-Q-Tel. Read about our funding story on Forbes.
We are looking for talented, competent individuals who are motivated by the vision of a better future that is model driven to join us on our audacious mission.
About the role :
We are looking for a Director of Engineering with a strong technical background, a track record of shipping products that matter; someone who knows how to build, grow, and manage world class teams, and holds a high bar for technological and product quality.
As the Director of Engineering, you’ll build and lead the India technology organization to deliver against an our product roadmap
You will report to the VP of Engineering and collaborate extensively with San Francisco Engineering and Platform Teams, our global Customer Success and Sales Teams, and our Product and Design teams.
The Ideal Candidate :
- Has worked on complex Enterprise and Cloud based systems with distributed asynchronous backends as well as applications for highly technical and demanding users that delight and empower. We understand that’s a tall order but we’d like to talk to candidates who have done one or the other. Extra credit for being part of or having led technology transformations and for having a good understanding of data science and machine learning - again, two very different things.
- Has battle scars and understands the long term cost of poor engineering and knows how to balance aggressive product development with sound engineering principles, new feature development with tech debt buy down and sustaining engineering.
- Has a successful history of building and motivating top notch teams and leading them to success. Has the empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers. Holds a high bar for people and is able to hold them accountable to excellence. Is direct and straightforward in their communication.
- Can be hands on when necessary, has good architectural sensibilities, and is plugged into the rapidly evolving technology landscape. He or she loves hard problems and is an engineer’s engineer.
- Has knowledge or exposure to many of the elements of our tech stack: On the backend we use Scala, Kubernetes, Kafka, MongoDB, and plug into the usual Enterprise technology suspects. On the front end we are React and Typescript shop. We deploy on AWS, Azure and on-prem. We understand it is unlikely that candidates are experts in every element of the above; we are looking for a rough match and a willingness to learn.
- Has a strong focus on delivery. Has stood up engineering machinery and processes of the appropriate weight necessary for the job at hand.
- Background and Work Experience
- Education : Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or equivalent from IITs, NITs, BITS(preferable)
- Tech Experience : Overall 10+ years experience in technology roles with 6+ years of hands-on coding experience
- Engineering Management Experience : 4+ years of managing/growing engineering teams of 10+ people.
- Technologies : Scala, Akka, Play, Node.js, ReactJS, TypeScript, SocketIO MongoDB, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Redis, Kubernetes, Docker
About Domino Data Lab
About Us Domino was founded by three veterans of the finance industry, to help leading organizations develop better medicines, grow more productive crops, build better cars, or simply recommend the best song to play next. Our mission is to help data scientists across industries develop and deploy ideas faster with collaborative, reusable, reproducible analysis.