Software Engineer, Search & Personalization
DoorDash, San Francisco, CA
On-demand delivery empowering local economies
Come help us build the world's most reliable on-demand, logistics engine for delivery! We're bringing on talented engineers to help us create and maintain a 24x7, no downtime, global infrastructure system that powers DoorDash’s three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
At DoorDash, our search / personalization engineers are a part of our core relevance ranking team. You will focus on developing intelligent features and algorithms for showing relevant results to users. The features and algorithms you develop will power the search, autocomplete and browse results on the DoorDash website, mobile site and mobile apps.
What You’ll Achieve
- Iterate and improve our recommendation, personalization, query understanding and ranking algorithms which have applications in several product areas like search, autocomplete and email/push communications
- Implement and deploy machine learning models to production systems
- Develop technologies to solve complex data problems, such as web and mobile scale data integration and data generation pipelines to collect, clean and aggregate data to address complex data problems and integrate them with production systems
- Improve search relevance using text matching algorithms and NLP techniques
- Work collaboratively in a fast-paced startup environment
- Build highly performant APIs that are horizontally scalable
- Collaborate with other engineers, data scientists, and teammates across the product and business organizations
- Design and deploy high-performance RESTful web services
- B.S., M.S., or PhD. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamental concepts and OOP languages
- 2+ years of experience working on search/ranking/relevance problems
- Familiarity with information Retrieval/NLP/Data Mining/Machine Learning
Nice To Haves
- Contributions to open source projects
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Familiarity with Pandas / Python machine learning libraries
- Experience with deep learning
- Lucene (SOLR/Elasticsearch)
- Big Data technology: Hadoop, Hive, Spark
- Service Oriented Architecture and RESTful APIs
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
At DoorDash, we’re working to connect more businesses to more people. We want to shrink every city by bringing people anything—faster, fresher, and from farther away. And we’re doing it everyday: from prep-times to traffic to weather, we’ve innovated a groundbreaking approach to delivery that factors in all the elements that come between people and their products. We want to be the shortest distance between every local store and people’s doors. We’re breaking down the art of delivery to a perfect science – one order at a time.