Data Scientist (ML), Internship
DoorDash, San Francisco
On-demand delivery empowering local economies
Come help us build the world's most reliable on-demand, logistics engine for delivery! We're bringing on talented data scientists to help us develop and improve the models that power DoorDash's three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
As a machine learning data scientist you will have the opportunity to work on our machine learning investments in one of our product surfaces. You will leverage our robust data and infrastructure to develop complex models that impact millions of users across our three audiences and tackle our most challenging business problems. You will work with an engineering lead and product manager to define and solve problems which move the business metrics and ultimately help us grow our business. You can read more about the types of Data Scientists we are looking for in our blog post Wanted: Data Scientists with Technical Brilliance AND Business Sense.
- Forecast the supply of available dashers as well as incoming delivery demand
- Iterate and improve our recommendation, personalization and ranking algorithms which have applications in several product areas like search, autocomplete and email/push communications
- Build models for next generation pricing and pay algorithms
- Improve models used in real time vehicle routing in major metropolitan areas, to help our dashers arrive at desired locations with little to no lag/latency
- Predict preparation time for over 50,000 merchant partners
- You can find out more on our ML blog post here
- Entering final year or about to finish* a M.S., or PhD. in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Physics, Economics, or other quantitative field
- Good understanding of many quantitative disciplines such as statistics, machine learning, operations research, causal inference, and deep understanding in at least one
- Demonstrated familiarity with programming languages e.g. python and machine learning libraries e.g. SciKit Learn, Spark MLLib
- Understanding of experimentation techniques e.g. A/B testing
- High-energy and confident — you keep the mission in mind, take ideas and help them grow using data and rigorous testing, show evidence of progress and then double down
- You’re an owner — driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Humble — you’re willing to jump in and you’re open to feedback
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity — things change quickly in our fast-paced startup and you’ll need to be able to keep up!
- Growth-minded — you’re eager to expand your skill set and excited to carve out your career path in a hyper-growth setting
- Desire for impact — ready to take on a lot of responsibility and work collaboratively with your team
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
*Please note that this role is an internship that will last 12 weeks with a potential opportunity to (immediately) convert to a full time role based on performance.
At DoorDash, we’re working to connect more businesses to more people. We want to shrink every city by bringing people anything—faster, fresher, and from farther away. And we’re doing it everyday: from prep-times to traffic to weather, we’ve innovated a groundbreaking approach to delivery that factors in all the elements that come between people and their products. We want to be the shortest distance between every local store and people’s doors. We’re breaking down the art of delivery to a perfect science – one order at a time.
Want to learn more about DoorDash? Visit DoorDash's website.
Help the world share their story