Technical Program Manager, Self-Driving Technologies
drive.ai, Mountain View
Building the Brain of Self-Driving Vehicles
Are you excited about shaping the self-driving car revolution and beyond? Our goal is to revolutionize transportation to bring safety, convenience and mobility to our roads and communities. In this position, you will be part of the team working towards our vision of ubiquitous autonomous vehicles. Join a small collaborative team of world class researchers and engineers using cutting edge deep learning technology to power the next generation of self-driving cars!
We are Series B funded, totaling $77 million! We are backed by NEA and GGV.
About the role
Drive.ai is seeking an experienced Technical Program Manager to define and guide engineering program execution related to our self-driving vehicle platform. As a TPM at drive.ai you will engage closely with both the product team and the engineering org in order to ensure technical items are defined and delivered in a focused and systematic way. For your feature set, you will be responsible for defining requirements, engineering metrics, technical validation plans, and schedules; and working hand-in-hand with the engineering team to ensure their execution. This is a highly technical position, so a strong engineering background (and willingness to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty) is a must.
Here's what you will do
- Work with the Product team to understand and define features and detailed engineering requirements based upon product definition and overall company strategy
- Help develop and document system architectures and designs, beginning from an engineering fundamentals and best-principles approach
- Develop validation and verification test plans, to ensure that the engineering deliverables meet both customer goals and internal specifications
- Conduct in-depth project management of engineering efforts, and ensure that technical deliverables fulfill requirements and are on schedule
- Make extensive use of JIRA to facilitate project management, track engineering and technical progress, and flag at-risk items in the overall project plan
- Occasionally deep-dive into technical items to aid engineering team in failure/root-cause analysis, end-to-end performance verification, and overall system integration
- Organize and guide numerous cross-functional teams (both inside and outside of the engineering org.) to ensure that all parties are in clear communication about requirements and execution plans/status
Here's the background we hope you have
- Strong engineering background, ideally working across a broad range of technologies and ability to think and communicate at a “system level”
- An engineering undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on computer science/engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest software abstractions down to the hardware
- Demonstrated history of shipping high quality products in a competitive industry
- 2+ years of direct program/project management experience, and an additional 2+ years in a strictly technical role
- Ability to bridge the gap between high-level company goals and detailed engineering requirements/specifications
- Exceptional abilities in managing cross-functional teams, and driving them to converge around program schedules and priorities
- Strong documentation skills, preferably having significant experience with JIRA and having directly documented system requirements, architectures, and specifications
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to work in our Mountain View office
The following would be nice to have, but is not required
- Experience working for a startup
- Previous product management or software development experience in the autonomous vehicle or artificial intelligence industry
- Previous experience in a systems integration or systems architecture role
- Proficiency in data analytics and basic programming (Python, C++ etc.)
- Basic familiarity with machine learning (specifically deep learning)
WE ARE DRIVEN BY INNOVATION. Who We Are. Drive.ai is a Silicon Valley startup founded by former lab mates out of Stanford University’s Artificial Intelligence Lab. We are creating AI software for autonomous vehicles using deep learning, which we believe is the key to the future of transportation. We founded drive.ai because we believe that this technology has the potential to save lives and transform industries, and we think this is the right team to do it.