DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With nearly 900 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Linux Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, deploying, and supporting Linux for our end-users. You will monitor the health and utilization of the environment to detect and prevent problems, ensure high availability for users, and plan future growth to meet needs. You will also be instrumental in helping software teams improve their efficiency in deploying custom tools to traders. This is an opportunity for someone to influence overall systems architecture as well as rapid deployment initiatives, build processes, packaging, monitoring and more. In this role, you will have an opportunity to regularly interact with a number of development groups to gather requirements, make recommendations and implement change.
What you’ll be working on:
- Designing, building and maintaining our Linux server environments across all offices
- Configuring, deploying and updating Linux servers
- Actively monitoring the health of our entire Linux server environment; performing day to day troubleshooting
- Application packaging and maintenance of software repositories
- Automating repetitive system administration tasks
- Evaluating and recommending new hardware and software technologies or solutions
- Serving as a liaison between the Unix Services and Software Engineering teams
You will be right at home if you have:
- Extensive Linux support and engineering experience in a high availability corporate environment
- Strong RHEL, Ubuntu or Debian experience
- Scripting and automation experience with one or more of the following: bash, Python, Ruby
- Previous experience working with containerization tools such as OpenShift, Docker or Kubernetes a big plus
- Experience working with configuration management tools, ideally Ansible or Puppet
- Solid understanding of general technical concepts like Kerberos, DNS, DHCP, networking
- Previous AWS experience is a plus
DRW was founded by Don Wilson, who got his start trading on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in the late 1980s. Every trader on the floor had a three letter acronym for identification—Don chose his initials, DRW, and the name stuck. Over the past 25 years, DRW has expanded globally while staying true to what has always set us apart…our ability to identify and capture opportunities by leveraging technology, research and risk management. Our Approach We characterize our trading activity as following three general approaches — Liquidity providing: making markets, buying and selling products every day, with execution on a trading floor, over the phone and electronically Risk taking: doing our homework, formulating a view and putting on a position. Some positions are held for a few days, some for a few months or even years. Latency sensitive: combining research and risk management with superior technology and execution Trading in any asset class might include just one of these or may bring together all three; it all depends on what we see as the right strategy in that market. Our knowledge of the markets, pricing and modeling skills, risk management, and leading technology work together to create liquidity, improve market efficiency, and capture opportunities. Our Culture DRW combines the best of both worlds: the opportunity and spirit of a startup and the stability of an established, experienced firm. Our employees work hard to solve interesting problems, and their results are rewarded. We value continuous learning—from our outcomes, from the environment and from each other. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity, and constant collaboration, with some of the smartest, most passionate people you’ll meet.