DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 900 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Research Developer, you will be an integral member of an algorithmic trading team comprised of experienced technologists, quantitative researchers, and traders. Your team will work closely to solve challenging technological problems and contribute to our full tech stack, from hardware and software development to grid computing. You will be surrounded by cutting edge technology, mentored by industry-leading engineers, offered training and continuing education opportunities, and given immediate responsibility. We are looking for creative technologists, natural programmers, and disciplined engineers eager to develop new technologies that directly impact our business.
How you will make an impact:
- Work with researchers to implement research studies, simulate trading strategies, and develop algorithms to compete in financial markets.
- Design trading strategy simulation software optimized for distributed computation
- Develop software for large scale data acquisition, storage, accessibility, and visualization
- Work with a team to maintain and extend our existing data analysis infrastructure and toolset
- Create user interfaces for data exploration and post trade analysis
- Accelerate the research lifecycle from strategy prototype to production deployment
- Evaluate new technology and improve our technology stack
What you bring to the team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Excellent software development skills in modern C++ and Python
- A strong understanding of object oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- A solid foundation in programming with the ability to think, communicate, and code clearly
- Skills in multi‐threaded applications, computational intelligence, or GUI programming
- Demonstrated ability to produce algorithmic code in a fast-paced environment
DRW was founded by Don Wilson, who got his start trading on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in the late 1980s. Every trader on the floor had a three letter acronym for identification—Don chose his initials, DRW, and the name stuck. Over the past 25 years, DRW has expanded globally while staying true to what has always set us apart…our ability to identify and capture opportunities by leveraging technology, research and risk management. Our Approach We characterize our trading activity as following three general approaches — Liquidity providing: making markets, buying and selling products every day, with execution on a trading floor, over the phone and electronically Risk taking: doing our homework, formulating a view and putting on a position. Some positions are held for a few days, some for a few months or even years. Latency sensitive: combining research and risk management with superior technology and execution Trading in any asset class might include just one of these or may bring together all three; it all depends on what we see as the right strategy in that market. Our knowledge of the markets, pricing and modeling skills, risk management, and leading technology work together to create liquidity, improve market efficiency, and capture opportunities. Our Culture DRW combines the best of both worlds: the opportunity and spirit of a startup and the stability of an established, experienced firm. Our employees work hard to solve interesting problems, and their results are rewarded. We value continuous learning—from our outcomes, from the environment and from each other. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity, and constant collaboration, with some of the smartest, most passionate people you’ll meet.
Want to learn more about DRW? Visit DRW's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.