DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With nearly 900 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
At the center of DRW real-time operations is a development team responsible for the firm’s trade and instrument reporting systems. The Trading Infrastructure empowers the front, middle, and back offices with the tools and resources necessary to seamlessly integrate into trade operations, risk management, and reconciliation processes. The Trading Infrastructure team is looking for application software developers who can help with our broad set of challenges.
We work from high-level requirements where programmers are expected to gain an intimate understanding of the business. We strive for an environment where developers have the autonomy to pursue business solutions without arbitrary management constraints. We are a group of polyglots and technologists always seeking to find the right tool for each problem. Broadly, the development teams at DRW believe in rapid deployment and feedback, automated testing, and cohesive, transparent, lightly-coupled service architectures
- Building systems with a constant focus on testing, reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Designing, modeling, and programming in a variety languages and technologies.
- Working on legacy code as well as green field development.
- Initiative driving projects to completion.
- Learning and promoting new technologies with a focus on best practices.
- Providing on-call support as needed.
- Sometimes working alongside other developers on the same task.
We are looking for strong developers of any stripe, but familiarity with the below will give candidates a leg up in working on our systems.
- Multiple years of server side development.
- A solid understanding of micro-service architectures and CAP theorem.
- A good understanding of functional paradigms and type theory.
- Confident JVM knowledge.
- Java 8 awareness alongside understanding how to use java.util.concurrent.
- Proficiency in domain driven design and domain modeling.
- Exposure to linux, ansible, nginx, webpack, git, or rabbitmq.
- Knowledge of financial concepts or exchange trading.
DRW was founded by Don Wilson, who got his start trading on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in the late 1980s. Every trader on the floor had a three letter acronym for identification—Don chose his initials, DRW, and the name stuck. Over the past 25 years, DRW has expanded globally while staying true to what has always set us apart…our ability to identify and capture opportunities by leveraging technology, research and risk management. Our Approach We characterize our trading activity as following three general approaches — Liquidity providing: making markets, buying and selling products every day, with execution on a trading floor, over the phone and electronically Risk taking: doing our homework, formulating a view and putting on a position. Some positions are held for a few days, some for a few months or even years. Latency sensitive: combining research and risk management with superior technology and execution Trading in any asset class might include just one of these or may bring together all three; it all depends on what we see as the right strategy in that market. Our knowledge of the markets, pricing and modeling skills, risk management, and leading technology work together to create liquidity, improve market efficiency, and capture opportunities. Our Culture DRW combines the best of both worlds: the opportunity and spirit of a startup and the stability of an established, experienced firm. Our employees work hard to solve interesting problems, and their results are rewarded. We value continuous learning—from our outcomes, from the environment and from each other. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity, and constant collaboration, with some of the smartest, most passionate people you’ll meet.