Cumberland - a DRW Company is the cryptoasset arm of DRW, established in 2014 after early interest in cryptoassets and their underlying technology. Today, Cumberland is a global leader in cryptoassets, uniquely positioned between the traditional financial markets and the cryptoasset ecosystem. From our offices in Chicago, London and Singapore, we provide 24-hour access to a wide array of cryptoassets while helping the crypto ecosystem grow and evolve in a responsible, sustainable way.
The team is looking for several Software Engineers to join our team in Chicago or Austin. This role is responsible for building and supporting a multi-language, functionally diverse technology stack to empower Cumberland to trade across many exchanges and regions using a wide range of strategies.
Candidates should have strong initiative and have proven experience independently driving projects to completion. We work from high-level requirements and programmers are expected to gain an intimate understanding of the business and work directly with Traders and Quantitative Researchers on a daily basis.
- Work as part of our cryptoassets team to establish and maintain best-in-class software systems to enable 24-hour, Global trading operations
- Design and develop full-stack software systems including trading systems, exchange connectivity solutions, and monitoring systems
- Working in multiple languages, including Java, C++, and Python
- Testing at the unit, functional, and integration level
- Working on legacy code as well as greenfield development
- Providing on-call support as needed
- Collaborating with traders, researchers, and software engineers within our group as well as elsewhere within the organization.
- Experience designing, developing, and supporting mission critical, high-performance applications.
- 5+ years of professional Java or C++ experience.
- 3+ years of professional script development experience, preferably Python.
- 3 + years of front-end and back-end development experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of network communication experience, including multicast and websockets
- Experience with inter-process messaging, micro-service architectures, and API design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree
DRW was founded by Don Wilson, who got his start trading on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in the late 1980s. Every trader on the floor had a three letter acronym for identification—Don chose his initials, DRW, and the name stuck. Over the past 25 years, DRW has expanded globally while staying true to what has always set us apart…our ability to identify and capture opportunities by leveraging technology, research and risk management. Our Approach We characterize our trading activity as following three general approaches — Liquidity providing: making markets, buying and selling products every day, with execution on a trading floor, over the phone and electronically Risk taking: doing our homework, formulating a view and putting on a position. Some positions are held for a few days, some for a few months or even years. Latency sensitive: combining research and risk management with superior technology and execution Trading in any asset class might include just one of these or may bring together all three; it all depends on what we see as the right strategy in that market. Our knowledge of the markets, pricing and modeling skills, risk management, and leading technology work together to create liquidity, improve market efficiency, and capture opportunities. Our Culture DRW combines the best of both worlds: the opportunity and spirit of a startup and the stability of an established, experienced firm. Our employees work hard to solve interesting problems, and their results are rewarded. We value continuous learning—from our outcomes, from the environment and from each other. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity, and constant collaboration, with some of the smartest, most passionate people you’ll meet.