DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With nearly 900 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Trading Systems Engineer, you’ll work closely with internal trading and technology teams and external parties. You will be investigating and resolving a wide variety of technical and business issues every day. Your work will range from addressing time-sensitive critical issues to managing long-term projects, such as new system rollouts and major platform changes. You will provide direct, hands-on support to trading desks on a daily basis and help define their technology requirements for other teams across the firm.
What you’ll be working on:
- Providing best-in-class support processes to ensure flawless operation of production trading technologies, flawless software deployment and configuration processes, and proactive monitoring and support to anticipate and avoid issues before they occur
- Ensuring maximum trading system availability to avoid missing any key trading opportunities
- Providing support for various trading groups’ production systems across a variety of asset classes and geographic locations
- Developing proprietary process automation and monitoring tools and leveraging third-party technologies as appropriate
- Providing support for proprietary trading systems deployed across a multi-platform production environment (primarily Linux with a little Windows)
- Troubleshooting trading system production incidents resulting from internal (proprietary software / systems) or external factors (markets, data feeds, telecommunication lines)
- Automating software configuration and rollout procedures to reduce manual configuration errors and strive for flawless change management
- Supporting core market connectivity and correspond with exchanges regarding trade order activity, connectivity, and other related technical support issues
- Working interactively with DBAs, core development teams, back office systems, QA Engineers, Infrastructure and management teams when deploying production releases and troubleshooting technical issues
What we are looking for:
- 3+ years of experience working with Linux (CentOS and/or Ubuntu experience is a plus)
- Previous experience working in the trading industry supporting electronic trading systems
- Superior troubleshooting skills with respect to trading systems and their interaction with the Linux operating system and network communications
- Previous script development experience, preferably with Python or Perl
- Prior experience supporting high performance applications, process monitoring, and troubleshooting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong documentation and knowledge management skills
- Evidence of ongoing personal and professional growth through learning and applying new skills and knowledge
- Prior experience working with FIX protocol and alternative exchange protocols
- Previous SQL experience, including queries/updates/table creation/basic database maintenance
- Flexibility to work a rotating shift schedule as needs dictate
- Self-motivation and intellectual curiosity; desire to continually self-improve and seek continual improvements in production support function
- High level of ownership and accountability, reliability, and strong follow through
- Ability to handle pressure and time constraints with composure
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to effectively plan and prioritize
DRW was founded by Don Wilson, who got his start trading on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in the late 1980s. Every trader on the floor had a three letter acronym for identification—Don chose his initials, DRW, and the name stuck. Over the past 25 years, DRW has expanded globally while staying true to what has always set us apart…our ability to identify and capture opportunities by leveraging technology, research and risk management. Our Approach We characterize our trading activity as following three general approaches — Liquidity providing: making markets, buying and selling products every day, with execution on a trading floor, over the phone and electronically Risk taking: doing our homework, formulating a view and putting on a position. Some positions are held for a few days, some for a few months or even years. Latency sensitive: combining research and risk management with superior technology and execution Trading in any asset class might include just one of these or may bring together all three; it all depends on what we see as the right strategy in that market. Our knowledge of the markets, pricing and modeling skills, risk management, and leading technology work together to create liquidity, improve market efficiency, and capture opportunities. Our Culture DRW combines the best of both worlds: the opportunity and spirit of a startup and the stability of an established, experienced firm. Our employees work hard to solve interesting problems, and their results are rewarded. We value continuous learning—from our outcomes, from the environment and from each other. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity, and constant collaboration, with some of the smartest, most passionate people you’ll meet.
Want to learn more about DRW? Visit DRW's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.