We’re ecobee. Born and raised in Canada, we're making living more comfortable with simply designed smart home devices that aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We invented the world’s first smart Wi-Fi enabled thermostat and continue to innovate the next generation in technology that is connecting the home.
Our hive, headquartered in Toronto, is growing quickly and we are specifically looking for Developers for our fantastic Server Chapter, of varying levels of experience.
We have customers who rely on our products across North America, and as a result, have a pretty nifty and technologically advanced Server environment that manages a massive amount of devices and data.
The team mindset is entrepreneurial and futuristic. We thrive on solving complex problems with elegant solutions.
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be working on:
As a Backend Developer you’ll use leading edge technologies to innovate highly concurrent, server applications that directly impact ecobee’s success. We encourage the freedom to investigate and evaluate new technologies to solve complex problems. As a result, your input will have a significant impact on our company and objectives.
You will work on product squads of diverse composition (other Server Developers, Front End developers, QA, Site Reliability Engineers, Product Stakeholders, Creative/Design), and be an Ambassador for the "back end"; applying your craft to contribute to the squad's success.
Who you are:
- You like to continuously challenge yourself by finding new and better ways to solve complex problems.
- You don’t mind learning new technologies if it means getting you there sooner.
- The bigger the challenge, the better. You want to fearlessly dive into issues of concurrency, management of massive data sets, security, redundancy, fail over, and everything else you imagine a successful IoT company would need to consider.
- You have experience coding (we’re looking for people of all levels), are interested in furthering your core Java knowledge, and eager to compliment it with other server-side technologies like Kafka, databases of varying nature, all sorts of Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services trinkets, Voice Assistant integrations (Alexa, Google), and more.
- We use Go, Java, and Kotlin; so you're not shy of mixing it up because you understand the importance of "the right tool for the right job".
- You understand the craft of software development; automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, design patterns, etc.de.
- The fundamentals of software engineering are very important to you: complexity (timing) of algorithms, the right data structure for the problem at hand.
- You know databases, SQL and otherwise.
- You are familiar with how to get your code "live", from getting it reviewed, merged into a production GIT branch, and orchestrated on the cloud or in a datacenter. You care about the stability of what you build so our customers have a great experience 24/7; this means being on a team that believes in and relies on metrics, a healthy on-call rotation to react to anomalies, and in general, creating wonderfully robust systems.
- You are comfortable scripting in Linux for automation.
- You keep your ear to the ground in the community to keep up with movements in the industry via blogs, tutorials, books, videos.
What we are offering:
- Truly meaningful work that affects our planet
- A unique field in hardware/software interaction – easy to share the product with friends and family!
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Flexible schedules and work from home days
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
- Frequent Town Halls for company transparency
- Get in early at a growing (private) company with stock options
- Build new things + find new solutions – were growing to make room for new products!
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you!
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Why ecobee was born Before founding ecobee in 2007, Stuart Lombard was on a mission to reduce his family’s carbon footprint and save money. He found a lot of ways to conserve energy but most were complex and costly. However, he discovered that heating and cooling made up the majority of his home energy use. So, he tried a programmable thermostat. It turned out to be really complicated, even for someone with an engineering degree. And, unreliable. When Stuart and his family came home one winter day to find their house freezing, they'd had enough. He knew there had to be a better way and decided to build his own thermostat. A truly smart thermostat, that was easy to install, smart enough to deliver comfort, conserving energy and pay for itself in energy savings. That day, ecobee was born. We're on a mission We are focused on creating smarter wi-fi thermostats that are beautifully designed, easy to use, provide comfort and savings for families and are good for our planet.