Hi, we are ecobee.
A proudly Canadian technology company transforming the smart home. ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing tech company in the heart of downtown Toronto, and we get to work with some of Canada's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their whole selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who You'll Be Joining:
Joining the QA Department, you’ll work closely with the Product Stakeholders, UX designers, Developers, and other QA Engineers in a cross-functional agile environment. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to and get your hands on a variety of tools, gadgets, frameworks, and technologies. You will learn and shape the world of IoT.
We are looking for Mobile QA Engineer to join our Platform Business Unit. Our Platform team’s vision is to build the foundational IoT device backend that all ecopeeps love to use when launching new device products and improving existing ones. Our team is taking the learnings from our experience creating backends for our thermostats, light switches, and cameras and using them to enable faster and cheaper software development lifecycles for creating fleets of millions of devices and the software services that leverage those fleets.
How You'll Make an Impact
You will advocate quality, verify and validate, analyze and lower risks, and automate tests to help build great products. Your testing starts early in the cycle and your ideas and opinion matters from planning to deployment.
Whether you are testing monolithic applications or microservices, or writing and executing unit, integration, and end-to-end tests for our applications running the latest web technologies, there are always exciting things to work on!
What You'll Bring to the Table
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests we've seen in QA Engineers - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you, we’d love to chat!
- A critical thinker with passion for quality and software testing
- Your curiosity and resourcefulness allow you to not only find problems but to also provide creative solutions for solving them
- Extensive experience on software testing techniques, methodologies, and tools
- You represent the QA team in cross-functional gatherings, and advocate for quality in decision making
- You are truly a tinkerer; you create your own apps and robots at home
- You enjoy working closely with developers in an agile environment
- You are diligent with documenting your test plans, test cases, bug reports and any other research findings
- Just so you know: Our hired candidate will be required to provide consent to complete a criminal background check.
As a Mobile QA Engineer, you have:
- You possess experience on software testing techniques, methodologies, and tools
- You are strong in generating test automation scripts in Python or Java, and Appium
- You are comfortable with native, API, integration, exploratory, performance/load/stress, usability, accessibility and security testing
- You have worked with CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, CircleCI or similar
- Bonus Points: You have a general understanding of Swift, Kotlin, Espresso, or XCUITest
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone/video call with a member in Talent Acquisition
- A take home technical test - We tend to give anywhere between 2-4 days to submit the take home.
- The interview itself! A 2-hour virtual interview is the next and last step. The first hour will be a technical discussion followed by an hour with management.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, grow with our quarterly hackathons, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Enjoy stocks options: Own ecobee stocks as an employee, a nice perk as we approach #1 in the smart home industry.
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. We’re a remote-first workplace until January 2022.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours and are working exclusively from home until January 2022. After that, based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. We will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video until then. New team members will be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Why ecobee was born Before founding ecobee in 2007, Stuart Lombard was on a mission to reduce his family’s carbon footprint and save money. He found a lot of ways to conserve energy but most were complex and costly. However, he discovered that heating and cooling made up the majority of his home energy use. So, he tried a programmable thermostat. It turned out to be really complicated, even for someone with an engineering degree. And, unreliable. When Stuart and his family came home one winter day to find their house freezing, they'd had enough. He knew there had to be a better way and decided to build his own thermostat. A truly smart thermostat, that was easy to install, smart enough to deliver comfort, conserving energy and pay for itself in energy savings. That day, ecobee was born. We're on a mission We are focused on creating smarter wi-fi thermostats that are beautifully designed, easy to use, provide comfort and savings for families and are good for our planet.
Want to learn more about ecobee? Visit ecobee's website.
Our cornerstone is knowledge of the home, family, food and lifestyle markets.