Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new product, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us!
We're a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who’ll You Be Joining:
As our Engineering Manager, QA, Server you will lead a team that works closely with the Product Stakeholders, UX designers, Developers, and other QA Engineers in a cross-functional agile environment.
In this role, you will provide technical leadership to cross-functional teams on quality and modern processes and will be exposed to and get your hands on a variety of tools, gadgets, frameworks, and technologies. You will learn and shape the world of IoT.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Manage and set quality best practices for Server/Backend Testing (e.g.: exploratory testing, peer review process, accessibility, testability, CI, CD, GCP, quality attributes evaluation and more)
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation allowing “cross-pollination” of ideas across teams
- Manage the growth and development of your team, finding the best path for a person's career ambitions that also addresses the company needs
- Engage in meaningful 1:1s with your team members, covering a range of topics: job fulfillment, career ambitions and subsequent planning
- Hire the best and brightest, stewarding their onboarding experience ensuring they are a contributing member
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You are a critical thinker with passion for quality and software testing
- You love to manage high-performing teams and understand that an engaged team is an important part of ecobee’s success
- Excited about working in a multi-disciplinary and fast paced environment
- Experience contributing to the growth of teams by providing coaching, mentorship and management and education
- Proven strength in a current or previous role using modern IoT technologies
- Experience driving Quality Improvement programs
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone/video call with a member in Talent Acquisition
- A 30-minute Technical phone call with our Director, QA
- Assuming the call goes well with our Director, QA - you can expect a take home case study, which you get a week to work on – you'll then come in virtually to present your solution to the team
What we'll bring to the table
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Changes we’ve made to ensure our employees are safe: We are doing our part to ensure that our employees (and future employees) remain healthy, safe, and at home to reduce the spread of Covid-19. In doing so, ecobee has made the decision to be a remote-first work environment until January 2022, until government regulations allow for reopening at that time.
We aspire to continue to provide our employees with options that balance their needs and the needs of ecobee. Depending on the nature of your work and specifics of the teams' operations, you could work either in the office daily, hybrid or fully remote. All future work location decisions are jointly made between you, your Manager, and HR as not all jobs are able to offer all options.
How does this affect hiring and onboarding? Our interview and onboarding process has remained relatively the same, except those interviews and on boarding sessions are conducted through video. New employees will be starting remotely, and all necessary equipment will be shipped to them.
Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have that candidate may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding and future work locations.
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Why ecobee was born Before founding ecobee in 2007, Stuart Lombard was on a mission to reduce his family’s carbon footprint and save money. He found a lot of ways to conserve energy but most were complex and costly. However, he discovered that heating and cooling made up the majority of his home energy use. So, he tried a programmable thermostat. It turned out to be really complicated, even for someone with an engineering degree. And, unreliable. When Stuart and his family came home one winter day to find their house freezing, they'd had enough. He knew there had to be a better way and decided to build his own thermostat. A truly smart thermostat, that was easy to install, smart enough to deliver comfort, conserving energy and pay for itself in energy savings. That day, ecobee was born. We're on a mission We are focused on creating smarter wi-fi thermostats that are beautifully designed, easy to use, provide comfort and savings for families and are good for our planet.
Want to learn more about ecobee? Visit ecobee's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.