Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in the heart of downtown Toronto with offices in Toronto, Canada and Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who’ll You Be Joining:
The ecobee Leeds camera team is looking for an iOS Developer. The ecobee app supports our full range of products and has over a million monthly users. To interoperate with the SmartCamera with Voice Control and our home monitoring service - Haven – the app makes use of technologies such as GraphQL, geolocation and WebRTC audio/video.
We’re looking for an iOS Developer who not only loves learning about new technologies, but whose main passion is building great products for people to use. Our codebase is modern (almost entirely written in Swift), contains almost no storyboards (we build our UIs in code, using an internal component framework), and we release every two weeks.
Based in the UK, you’ll work as part of the camera team to deliver new products and features. Close collaboration will also be needed with other mobile developers within ecobee, supporting other products.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Collaborate with the broader development team, project managers, and domain experts in evaluating requirements and crafting effective, transformative solutions
- Stay abreast of new technology in audio+video as it relates to mobile delivery, making recommendations to the rest of the team
- Live in Github building pull requests, reviewing code, merging branches, and generally being a standout colleague by seeking out and providing feedback
- Contribute to the growth of our team by providing mentorship to junior developers
- Collaborate, engage in design/architecture discussions, and share your ideas while building the next generation of features
- Translate business requirements into technical design specifications
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You have previous experience developing mobile Apps, with extensive knowledge of Swift
- Experience crafting and building user interfaces for both iPhones and iPads
- Strong experience and knowledge of Design and Architectural patterns and knows when to apply them.
- You are proud to showcase and have very strong OOP skills
- Experience working in an Agile Team environment as well as work independently
- Comfortable in a dynamic environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Just so you know: Our hired candidate will be required to provide consent to complete a criminal background check
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you we'd love to chat!
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone call with a member in Talent Acquisition
- A first round virtual interview with a few members of the development team in a pair programming exercise
- The final round will be an interview with a cross-functional group of ecopeeps - expect technical, behavioural and situational questions.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, grow with our quarterly hackathons, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Why ecobee was born Before founding ecobee in 2007, Stuart Lombard was on a mission to reduce his family’s carbon footprint and save money. He found a lot of ways to conserve energy but most were complex and costly. However, he discovered that heating and cooling made up the majority of his home energy use. So, he tried a programmable thermostat. It turned out to be really complicated, even for someone with an engineering degree. And, unreliable. When Stuart and his family came home one winter day to find their house freezing, they'd had enough. He knew there had to be a better way and decided to build his own thermostat. A truly smart thermostat, that was easy to install, smart enough to deliver comfort, conserving energy and pay for itself in energy savings. That day, ecobee was born. We're on a mission We are focused on creating smarter wi-fi thermostats that are beautifully designed, easy to use, provide comfort and savings for families and are good for our planet.
Want to learn more about ecobee? Visit ecobee's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.