At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Elastic Cloud team is growing rapidly and we are now looking to add an Engineering Director to help make this a positive experience for the team and help us continue to deliver quality work. Our team is a dynamic and rapidly growing group of engineers based all around the world, covering a multitude of countries and timezones. We're solving some very hard problems with innovative tech and have fun along the way. This is a great opportunity to help lead our Cloud Engineering efforts and make an immediate impact to our strategy and implementation.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work with the rest of Cloud and Product Management to define projects and plans
- Manage a hiring roadmap to expand our team
- Help the team manage projects and roadmaps against release targets
- Works with other Leads to make changes impacting multiple projects.
- Work with the teams to ensure good engineering practices are being followed.
- Lead multiple software projects simultaneously
- Remove barriers blocking the team
- Own the performance management process for your teams
- Help individuals grow and the team be successful
- Be a respectful, communicative teammate
- Your heart at the right place, good sense of humor and ability to form connections with the people you work with
What You Will Bring Along:
- BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You’ve built software for a SaaS service
- Solid experience with 3rd party Cloud hosting services (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Experience building a multi region cloud infrastructure (must have)
- Experience with cloud orchestration
- A love for automated testing
- 5+ years experience leading teams of software engineers
- Experience running a distributed team
- 5+ years as a hands-on software engineer (C++, Java, Scala, C#, or Python or similar programming languages) so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Your heart at the right place, good sense of humour and ability to form connections with the people you work with
- Distributed systems design and development
- Experience supporting customer problems and communication
- Speaking/presenting at tech conferences
- Managing on-call schedules (PagerDuty, VictorOps, etc)
- Open source projects and companies
- Secure coding practices (static code analysis, security code reviews, etc.)
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
The Elastic Story We have a simple goal to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots.
Founded in 2012 in Amsterdam by the people behind Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene, Elastic set forth a vision that search can solve a plethora of data problems. The origins of the company start back in 2010, when Shay Banon wrote the first lines of Elasticsearch and open sourced it as a distributed search engine. With the rise of cloud computing and changes in IT infrastructure demanding requirements such as real-time search across infinite amounts of structured and unstructured data, Shay foresaw the need for a new type of software to solve today's real-world data problems. Steven Schuurman, Uri Boness, and Simon Willnauer shared in Shay's vision, joining forces to create the Elastic company we have today. Since then, the creators of Kibana, Logstash, and Beats have joined the Elastic family, rounding out a product portfolio known as the Elastic Stack, which is used by millions of developers around the world. The Elastic family unites employees across 32 countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.