At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. Diversity drives our vibe. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
About The Role
The Cloud team is responsible for the development of products such as Elastic Cloud Enterprise, Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes as well as the operation of our Elasticsearch Service offering.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the Usage Metering and Billing area of Elastic’s Cloud product. This area and your contribution will be impactful to Elastic’s SaaS consumption-based billing platform, chargeback features for on-premise product, and integration with AWS/GCP/Azure marketplaces. The data ingestion system we build to power these features process a critical stream of events with low-latency and real-time requirements.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed components and APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is very transparent in our organization. We feel that anyone needs to be in a position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
Some of the things you'll work on
- Lead and implement new features that contribute to strategic, business-critical initiatives for usage metering and billing. This includes working on the parts of the codebase that brings in monthly and yearly subscription revenue from thousands of SaaS users and provides the same capability to the on-premise and Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes products.
- Use Elastic ingest technologies (Beats, Ingest node, etc) to collect, analyze and aggregate data for cluster’s resource (network, storage, API) usage. You will work to reliably harvest data from thousands of nodes across Cloud providers, calculations over terabytes of usage data, and present them using simple APIs to users.
- Design simple but powerful data schemas and representations. Expose elegant APIs to hide much of the backend complexity and scale.
- Be hands-on with the codebase. Review work done by the team, and provide constructive feedback.
- Mentor engineers in your team - help define coding practices and standards, breakdown features into deliverable phases, design new features
What you will bring along
- Proven experience as a senior software engineer, with a track record of delivering high-quality code
- Experience with Scala or Java as a programming language.
- Experience with Elasticsearch as a user, understanding data modeling, aggregations and querying capabilities.
- Previous experience leading complex projects and comfortable working with ambiguous requirements and a fast-paced environment.
- Experience gathering or analyzing usage data from hosting providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) is a plus
- Experience crafting elegant APIs for complex problems
- A self-starter who with experience working across multiple technical teams and decision-makers
The Elastic Story We have a simple goal to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots.
Founded in 2012 in Amsterdam by the people behind Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene, Elastic set forth a vision that search can solve a plethora of data problems. The origins of the company start back in 2010, when Shay Banon wrote the first lines of Elasticsearch and open sourced it as a distributed search engine. With the rise of cloud computing and changes in IT infrastructure demanding requirements such as real-time search across infinite amounts of structured and unstructured data, Shay foresaw the need for a new type of software to solve today's real-world data problems. Steven Schuurman, Uri Boness, and Simon Willnauer shared in Shay's vision, joining forces to create the Elastic company we have today. Since then, the creators of Kibana, Logstash, and Beats have joined the Elastic family, rounding out a product portfolio known as the Elastic Stack, which is used by millions of developers around the world. The Elastic family unites employees across 32 countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.