Elasticsearch - Senior Core Java Engineer - Distributed Systems Area
Solving World Data Problems
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From real time stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Do you want to work on distributed search and analytics software which impacts the lives of millions of people? We are for excellent back-end Java engineers who are passionate about solving problems. We’re not interested in your previous job title. Instead, we want to collaborate with bright people with a good knowledge of Java and a desire to tackle new challenges.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on really anything, regardless of their role within the company.
Right now, we are on the lookout for an experienced Senior Java Engineer to join our Elasticsearch team and focusing on the distributed aspects of Elasticsearch.This role can be based (pretty much) anywhere in the world.
These are the kinds of problems you will work on:
- Elasticsearch’s internal systems that support concurrent and consistent indexing across multiple machines.
- Cluster coordination and how it responds to nodes leaving and joining the cluster.
- Shard allocation, recovery and migration.
- Backup solutions (a.k.a Snapshot and Restore).
- New features based on our sequence numbers infrastructure.
- Look into all kind of issues, including performance or concurrency issues, and propose solutions.
- Supporting our support engineers with the harder problems.
What you will bring along:
- We are looking for strong engineers that can work on complex systems.
- You should demonstrate the ability to build and debug features that involve multiple subsystems and run on multiple machines.
- You should be comfortable with concurrency and asynchronous execution.
Experience in these areas is a plus:
- Distributed systems
- Data stores
- Search, analytics, Lucene
- Strong knowledge of the JDK
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages!
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Please note, that we are looking for great talent across the globe and we will consider candidates that are not residing in the locations listed at the bottom of this posting.
Target location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands; London, UK; Toronto, Canada; Austin, TX; Denver, CO;
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
The Elastic Story We have a simple goal to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. Founded in 2012 in Amsterdam by the people behind Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene, Elastic set forth a vision that search can solve a plethora of data problems. The origins of the company start back in 2010, when Shay Banon wrote the first lines of Elasticsearch and open sourced it as a distributed search engine. With the rise of cloud computing and changes in IT infrastructure demanding requirements such as real-time search across infinite amounts of structured and unstructured data, Shay foresaw the need for a new type of software to solve today's real-world data problems. Steven Schuurman, Uri Boness, and Simon Willnauer shared in Shay's vision, joining forces to create the Elastic company we have today. Since then, the creators of Kibana, Logstash, and Beats have joined the Elastic family, rounding out a product portfolio known as the Elastic Stack, which is used by millions of developers around the world. The Elastic family unites employees across 32 countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Want to learn more about Elastic? Visit Elastic's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer - Visibility
Slack, San Francisco
Senior Software Development Consultant
Mendix, Boston, MA
99, São Paulo
Senior DevOps Engineer
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Product Manager - Clinical
Heal, Los Angeles
Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer / Red Team
Helix, San Carlos