Crunchyroll is the world's most popular anime brand. We’re an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for anime fans through content (licensed, co-produced, and originals), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more.
About the team:
The Crunchyroll content team sits at the core of our business. It is over 20 people strong and spread across three offices -- San Francisco, Tokyo and Europe. The team oversees Content Acquisition, Content Investment, Partner Management, Strategic Alliances and Programming. The market is highly competitive -- acquiring the right content under the right deal terms is essential to driving the growth of our business.
About the role:
The Head of Content for Crunchyroll will lead this global team and drive the company’s programming and acquisition strategy, ensuring that we target and secure the best content to super-serve our passionate audience. This individual will also oversee content investments into existing productions, lead strategies to secure co-production partnerships, and grow our IP inventory.
Behind our success are the great relationships we forge with our partners. The Head of Content will ensure that the teams are fostering, growing, and shepherding our existing relationships while forging meaningful and innovative new partnerships with talented creators, studios, agencies and beyond. Our mission is to further propel Crunchyroll, the Anime industry, and our partners to newer heights.
Content is at the heart of Crunchyroll and the Content Team works closely with almost every team in the company. As such, the Head of Content will be a highly collaborative person who has successfully worked cross-functionally with product, engineering, finance, business development and marketing teams. In this role, they will also interface closely with the Head of Originals and the Head of Studio to ensure our Original Content strategy grows in parallel with our programming strategy.
The Head of Content should be willing to push boundaries while maintaining a deep respect for the unique nature of the cultures and partnerships in which we operate. As a key member of the Crunchyroll Leadership Team, they will have a passion for content, deal-making, and relationship building and will be seasoned, creative, entrepreneurial in spirit and carry a positive, company-first (and team-first!) attitude.
Location: San Francisco
Our headquarters is located in downtown San Francisco, where our group of cross-functional experts assemble to create experiences for Crunchyroll and VRV’s passionate communities.
A day in the life of the Head of Content:
- Oversee all content acquisition, distribution, investment, partner management, strategic alliances and programming initiatives globally
- Direct and develop the programming and licensing strategy for the company
- Mentor and lead a team of 20 people across three time-zones: San Francisco, Japan and Europe
- Oversee all deals to ensure terms reflect the needs of the business both today and tomorrow
- Guide production investments and secure co-production partnerships
- Transform traditional licensing partnerships into forward thinking strategic partnerships – level-up existing relationships
- Build and manage executive-level relationships with existing partners and the content community as a whole
- Build team structure optimized for speed and innovation, with a strong focus on collaboration and cross-company transparency
- Attract and secure top-tier talent
- Collaborate across the organization w/heads of product, marketing, BD, Finance, International, Originals and others.
- Determine, track and manage content budget
- 15+ years in media including content licensing, distribution and/or programming
- Strong negotiator; understands the nuances of rights and can structure and negotiate licensing, co-production, investment and partnership deals
- Seasoned manager with team-building experience, ideally with large teams and on a global scale
- Track record of implementing processes to improve results around content programming, licensing, deals, etc.
- Strong understanding of the nuances of user behavior, ability to guide data, use/understand data and trends to drive programming strategy
- Proven business development maven with a track record of striking large-scale, innovative partnerships within media or otherwise
- Experience at major media company and/or top-tier OTT service
- Track record in attracting and retaining great talent
- Excellent persuasive presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly collaborative team player with consistent success in cross-functional organizational structures
- Willingness to travel overseas frequently
- Experience working with Japanese media companies, a plus
Benefits and Perks: San Francisco Office
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Employer paid commuter benefit
- On-site gym, showers, yoga, and wellness classes
- Support program for new parents
- Catered lunch 4 days per week
- Fun, passionate and skilled co-workers
- Pet friendly - pet insurance and dog friendly office
What’s with the name, Ellation? We’re all a cast of characters that get passion and strive to celebrate fandom in all its forms. So we’re building a collection of destinations (a constellation, if you will) that connect people with their passions. Each day, we work to achieve complete fan elation (our vision), starting with popular subscription-video-on-demand brands, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, and VRV. Our team spans across San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Chișinău, and Tokyo to develop the product, design, engineering, marketing, and content that brings our communities of fans together.
Crunchyroll is the world's most popular anime brand. We’re an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for anime fans, through content (licensed, co-produced, and originals), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more.
Rooster Teeth is the entertainment company for gamers. A pioneer in digital entertainment, we’ve spent 16 years fostering a passionate worldwide community around original western-style anime, animation, podcasts, gaming personalities, and comedy content. Rooster Teeth’s diversified business encompasses subscription video, live events, merchandise, brand integrations, licensed studio productions, game development, and more.
VRV is a collection of fandom brands on a unified platform and includes Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Viacom’s NickSplat, and more. Our community connects through immersive content experiences in a digitally-driven environment via bundled subscription, a la carte subscription, or ad-supported options.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Ellation. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
ABOUT US We are lucky to love what we do; bringing great content to passionate audiences on the platforms that matter. We operate at the intersection of technology and media and are redefining the next wave of media interaction and consumption. We are product, design, engineering, marketing and content people looking to bring communities together, build sustainable business models for content creators and use technology to increase engagement and access to content globally. We are builders. We are fans. We are innovators. We are Ellation.