Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added banking, learning, and money and career coaching services for Ellevest members, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Senior Software Engineer at Ellevest, you will work to design, build, and support many of the core systems powering Ellevest’s software and user experience. From our web and mobile applications to our financial computation engine, our Engineering team is at the heart of our organization, ensuring a best-in-class experience for our clients. We follow agile methodologies and on a day-to-day basis, leverage Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native, among others. Our systems run on a modern AWS stack supported by exciting new technologies, and our entire team works in a highly collaborative, flexible structure to build towards high-impact client facing outcomes.
This position reports to an Engineering Manager within the Engineering Organization.
Day-to-day you will:
- Code in a collaborative, agile environment developing new features across the stack, with a particular focus on our mobile applications
- Write well-tested, clean code and review other team members’ contributions
- Collaborate closely with Design and Product teams to ensure quality, best practices, and consistency across the applications and UX
- Help plan, technically direct, and implement new features across the product
- Improve application scalability and performance, and investigate and fix bugs throughout the codebase
- Provide support and guidance for junior team members
We’re looking for:
- At least 5 years of professional mobile development experience (React Native and/or native iOS/Android)
- Experience with mobile build and distribution pipelines
- Proficiency at implementing responsive designs, with a strong eye for detail and appreciation for UI/UX design best practices
- A passion for learning and sharing knowledge, and advocating for programming best practices
- Experience supporting and scaling consumer-facing web and mobile applications, and familiarity working with third party APIs
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and cross-functional work environment - including working independently and on a team
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.
Dream Big. Invest Smart.
We’re redefining investing for women, and you’re so invited.
Want to learn more about Ellevest? Visit Ellevest's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.