Since 1995, Embark has been the leading provider of online application and admissions software to colleges, universities, and fellowship programs around the world. To date, we've powered more than 14 million students applications to clients including Harvard, Stanford, NYU, and the Rhodes and Fulbright fellowships.
Our admissions platform is always evolving and we're also creating new solutions to match students with educational opportunities. Think of our new service as a Priceline for university education where schools are able to fill their open seats with talented students. We recently launched a brand new platform written in a modern tech stack and there are many exciting engineering challenges, including the application of machine learning to our matching problem.
Embark is profitable and growing and has attracted strong investor interest, so we are looking for a collaborative leader who can be hands-on and support the company through its growth.
Engineering Team Overview
The Embark engineering team, while small, is sharp and proficient. We like to take big bets on people who bring passion and potential to their roles. Maybe you’ve been a CTO or Head of Engineering before or perhaps you were a superstar engineering lead in your prior role and are ready to tell us why you’re ready to take this on. We try to choose the right tool for each product need, incorporating technologies such as Elasticsearch, Redis, and distributed queues.
You’ll have a stellar partner in Embark’s Engineering Lead, who brings senior experience to the table and has helped take a fintech company public; now he is happiest keeping his focus on coding and mentorship of others. Our CEO is a Harvard computer scientist who won the international science fair and still likes to spend some of her time coding with the team. Our Operations Director teaches product management at General Assembly and also has direct experiences within the university admissions offices that we serve directly.
You will be responsible for driving and implementing technology at Embark, and you will have plenty of support. You will work closely with product and the organization to translate client needs into technical solutions. As we rapidly scale, you will lead and grow the organization with us. You will report directly to the CEO.
What You’ll be Doing
- Hands on coding (80%+ of your time)
- Sprint work plus building proofs of concept to advance and optimize the technology stack
- Engineering management (5%)
- Help manage project milestones, progress and issues
- Participate in and own architecture and infrastructure decisions
- Help lead the day-to-day engineering operations for the team
- Owning the agile methodologies and sprint expectations for the engineering team
- Advocating for the engineering team by helping to prioritize and plan pay-down of technical debt
- Serving as a role model, teacher and leader for teammates across the entire organization
- Performance and infrastructure (10%)
- Owning product performance and ensuring that products are meeting customer SLAs
- Managing the health and cost of the products’ cloud infrastructure (we’re happy to help you get familiar with this if you don’t have prior exposure)
- Team and Coordination (5%)
- Building out the hiring roadmap and owning engineering recruiting pipeline
- Working daily with the CEO and product team to define and implement product strategy
- Managing client communications on behalf of the engineering team
What We’re Looking For
Most likely you have either a computer science or STEM degree from a top institution and/or experience at a high-performing tech company, but we are open to strong candidates who meet the following:
- Excellent understanding of systems architecture, technical design, data structures, and algorithms
- Track record of leading a top-tier engineering team (bonus points if you built it yourself)
- Skilled communicator both to technologists as well as business stakeholders
- Scaled a startup from early on or took over a small team within a large organization
- Extremely helpful:
- Experience successfully recruiting top talent in competitive markets
- Able to understand and interact with the company’s entire technology stack, continuous integration environments, and infrastructure orchestration tools, including Heroku, AWS, Mongolab
- Familiarity with cloud architectures, tools, and processes
- Significant contributions to open source projects or community organizations
Our Story Since 1995, Embark has been the leading provider of online application and admissions software to universities, colleges, and fellowship programs around the world. In the nearly two decades our company has been in business, our hosted solution has provided a platform for more than 14 million students to apply and hundreds of institutions to manage their evaluation and admissions process. Naturally, our latest platform has advanced substantially since the product’s first few lines of code were written out of an MIT dorm room. But we have stayed true to the company’s mission: leveraging technology to simplify and improve the application and admissions process for our clients. Embark has developed a reputation for a robust product offering with unparalleled flexibility and support from our customer service team. No implementation is too big or too small for us. So, whether you’re looking to bring your process online for the first time or to improve upon an existing in-house or third party system, you’ve come to the right place. Embark is in the midst of revolutionizing the industry that it created twenty years ago, and we’d love the opportunity to put our product and services to work for you.
Want to learn more about Embark? Visit Embark's website.
Jobs You May Like
Director of Monetization
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA
Software Development Engineer, Global Product Client Platform
Technical Lead, Data Science Engineering
DraftKings, Boston, MA
Software Engineer - Mapping
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
Honey, Downtown Los Angeles
Vice President of Engineering
Collective Health, San Francisco