Entrepreneur First brings together the world’s most ambitious people to build startups from scratch in London, Berlin and Singapore. We help individuals form teams, develop ideas, and subsequently raise funding from investors to build the world’s most important companies.
To date we have helped over 350 individuals build 80 companies with a total valuation of over $1 billion. They're funded by leading VCs and Angels investors from across Europe and the US, including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, and Y Combinator. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony, led by Rob Bishop and Zehan Wang, which was acquired by Twitter for a reported $150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme.
Most recently, we have raised US$12.4M in a round led by Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, with participation from Greylock Partners, Founders Fund and other top US venture capital firms as well as the Deep Mind founders.
The Launch Lead is an exciting new role that will own and develop a huge part of our business in Singapore - turning teams with ideas into Seed funded companies. It’s a massive role, which offers an enormous opportunity for immediate impact on our business, a large amount of responsibility, and a steep and continued learning curve.
You own how we decide which EF created teams to invest in, and then turn these teams into Seed funded companies. You will be the voice of EF in the most challenging and important situations for these new companies. You will build the process, team, and relationships that can get them funded by world class investors. You will support them across commercial, product, and investment goals. In short, you will know better than anyone how to grow early stage companies in Singapore.
We were told it was impossible to build companies from scratch, and over the past five years we have built a robust and scalable way to do this. Our method works and has created some of the most valuable companies coming out of Europe and Asia. EF has now created and invested in more than 100 companies, which are now worth >$1bn. Magic Pony Technology was created through the EF process and exited to Twitter in 2016 for $150m, just 18 months after it was founded.
We are very ambitious for the future of EF. Over the next three years we’ll build hundreds of companies in Singapore. This will make EF by far the largest source of Seed funded companies in South East Asia. These companies must be world class, with world class investors. Getting them there is your North Star.
There are three key stages of EF:
- Form: How do we turn people into teams?
- Launch: How do we turn these teams into seed funded companies?
You will own the Launch stage, answering the question ‘how do we turn teams into seed funded companies?’.
Building, training, and managing the Launch Team
You will hire and train (with help!) the right Launch and Funding teams to take the two key areas of company building at EF forward long term:
- Launch. How we support EF funded companies to develop - decide which EF-created teams we fund and help them create and execute on a plan to become Seed fundable, whether it’s across sales, hiring, or product. This is a uniquely difficult task: EF companies span from consumer applications to materials science; their needs are diverse and they deserve the best service.
- Funding team. How we support EF funded companies to raise Seed rounds - building networks within the investment and grant ecosystem, converting deals, and sourcing additional sources of capital. This is an unprecedented challenge: EF companies do things investors haven’t seen before; they raise more capital than other startups and we will soon be producing as many Seed stage companies as the entire Singapore ecosystem combined.
We have a strong foundation in our existing team, who executed the first two EF Singapore cohorts, but we need a specialised Form and Launch team to scale in Singapore. Over the next 6 months, our Form and Launch teams in Singapore will be created from scratch.
You will be instrumental building the Launch and Funding teams, and leading the design and execution of these functions. This means training and supporting the team, setting appropriate metrics to measure their performance effectively, ensuring they hit their company and career goals, and making sure they are able to manage their direct reports appropriately. It means solving huge challenges in how we support companies and how we make sure good companies get funded.
EF is still a startup, and so being a leader and manager still means that sometimes you’ll have to get stuck right into the operations to make sure things are being done well. Everyone in the company does this, and doing whatever it takes to succeed has to be everyone’s priority.
Seed stage IP in Singapore
You will own the development of some of our most important IP. You will own the development of our ‘Launch’ product in Singapore including company support and funding.
You will work closely with the Form Lead - Allister Furey, EF Singapore Director - Alex Crompton, and your London counterpart to get extraordinary outcomes for our teams.
We believe that, globally, no other organisation has nailed the Launch stage. Not only is it not well understood, but no-one has managed to make it scale gracefully. We want to be the first to create a product that works.
You will need to understand the EF company building process as well as anyone in the company, especially in the Singaporean context. We are in a unique position where we can try things other people can’t with a quality of portfolio companies other organisations do not have access to. You will be responsible for coming up with new initiatives and experiments based on your experiences in Singapore, tracking ROI of interventions, and incorporating data into how EF operates.
As we develop, it will be crucial that you communicate the direction, experiments, and strategy to your teams. This will mean building processes that can be transferred and replicated locally and internationally.
Solving EF’s biggest challenges
As EF grows over the next 18 months, both internationally and in the range of services we offer, you’ll need to be able to coordinate with the global and local company leaders, to make sure you can get the outcomes you need.
Major challenges will include feeding your understanding of the investment landscape into cohort composition for the Talent team, your market and customer knowledge into the ideation process for the Form team, and identifying and creating capital pools able to support EF’s output.
Without solving these problems, EF can’t become the largest producer of Seed stage companies in South East Asia. Without you, we can’t solve these problems.
You should have:
- 7+ years work experience in the some/all of the following sectors: growth startups, venture capital, strategy/ management consultancy, corporate development/M&A
- Managed/lead a team and are comfortable with recruiting, development and team performance. People want to work for and with you.
- Experience building startups
- Strong, clear communicator
- Board level experience is a plus
- Love working on both sides of the table - EF is venture fund EF and a Company Builder
- Can think strategically and can translate that vision into process and product
- A self-starter with an exceptional work ethic and a no-excuses attitude
- Are energized by advising and mentoring technology founders
- Possess strong credibility within the SEA tech and investment community
- Outspoken and opinionated, and you love data
Training and development
We recognise that even the perfect person for this role will require EF specific training and development to be able to lead Launch in Singapore. We anticipate that during the initial few months, you will spend significant time with the EF team in both London and Singapore, understanding how things work and building relationships with key team members. You will take over the funding process for our second EF Singapore cohort, which began in January 2018, before running EF’s investment committee and leading the third cohort from April 2018.
Your training plan will be created according to your skills and experience by Alex Crompton, EF Singapore Director, and Alice Bentinck, EF Co-Founder.
Reporting structure: You will report into EF Singapore’s Director (Alex Crompton). You’ll work closely with our Form Lead (Allister Furey).
You'll also get to:
- Surround yourself with the world’s smartest and most ambitious individuals and have the opportunity to help start an institution that can change the way the most ambitious people think about their careers.
- Supercharge your learning - you’ll have a very steep learning curve and work alongside a talented, ambitious, and committed team.
- Embed yourself within the EF network - we work with the best founders and investors in the region
- Enjoy a generous holiday allowance (20 days + 2 weeks at CNY and Christmas)
Location: You will be based in our Singapore office, with trips to London for training, collaboration and global retreats.
Remuneration: This is an important role for EF. You will receive a base salary of S$8.5K-S$11.5K per month, on top of significant upside via returns in our funds’ profits. We want you to live comfortably, but be incentivised by great outcomes for the portfolio.
Start date: ASAP
About Entrepreneur First Team
Join as an individual, leave with a company. We believe the the world’s most important companies are created when smart, committed, and diverse individuals come together and form a breakthrough insight. With each cohort at EF, we bring together extraordinary people to form companies with ambitious and unique visions for the future. EF helps these entrepreneurs — from the very beginning of their journey — to form teams, choose a problem to work on, develop a differentiated approach, and fundraise from the world's best investors. Since 2011, we have built and funded more deep tech startups than any other investor. Magic Pony Technology was one of the largest AI exits of 2016, and the 80+ startups we have built are now worth more than $1 billion. EF is your best shot to build a globally important company. We are backed by Reid Hoffman, Greylock Partners, Mosaic Ventures, Founders Fund, Lakestar Capital, and Deep Mind founders Demis Hassabis and Mustafa Suleyman. Read Reid Hoffman's thoughts on EF.
Want to learn more about Entrepreneur First Team? Visit Entrepreneur First Team's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
Movable Ink , Movable Ink - NYC
Nortal, Lithuania, Vilnius
Account Executive, Corporate Accounts (New York, NY)
Box, New York, NY
Web Development Immersive Instructor
General Assembly, Washington DC
Manager, Product Design
Lightspeed, Montreal, QC
Regulatory Affairs Manager