- Join our thriving global, online business
- Work in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia
- Based in our Melbourne CBD Head Office or remote (Australia wide)
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, we're a completely online company with an ecosystem of sites and services to help people get creative. In September 2014, one of our sites, ThemeForest, was the 90th most visited website in the world and it remains among the most visited Australian-owned website on the planet! With more than 350 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million.
JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 BRW Awards.
On Envato Market thousands of people earn a living selling things like WordPress themes, photos, music tracks and illustrations. With Envato Elements, we oversee one of the world’s largest subscription services for digital creatives, providing hundreds of thousands of files for unlimited download for one flat fee. We offer website design and hosting with Envato Sites. On our education platform Tuts+, over 5 million people learn skills including code, illustration, photography, web design, and more, each month. We also run a freelance marketplace called Envato Studio.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
What we’re looking for
You’ll be comfortable with application development, scripting in various languages, as well as caring about the performance of the applications. You understand the underlying environment that your systems run on and can suggest and make changes. Previous experience with build deployment pipelines and integrating monitoring systems, with the expectation that deployments can happen multiple times a day without issue. You will be a hands-on team player that will want to support other teams to do the best work they can in the most efficient way. You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
What you’ll be doing
We value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Development Operations Engineer, you'll be working as part of a product team, to ensure the reliability, security and performance of Envato's websites. Here's a snapshot of your day-to-day:
- Supporting the Elements team: build, troubleshoot, and optimise deployment pipelines
- Design and Build: AWS and Heroku infrastructure and support tooling
- Availability: work to decrease the mean-time-to-detection and mean-time-to-recovery of all systems, both public-facing and internal.
- Monitoring: improve the monitoring and measurement systems that support our operational scale and continuous delivery
- Performance, Efficiency & Latency: contribute to the measurement techniques that assist in the performance tuning of the applications stack
- Security & risk: be an active contributor to identifying and mitigating risks
- Supporting a large public-facing web-based application
- Hands on Ruby and Ruby on Rails application development experience
- A commitment to continual learning
- On value with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
- Has provided a positive contribution to both operations-focused and development-focused work
- Communicates well in person and in writing
- Has built and maintained cloud-based applications and infrastructure
- Reasonable knowledge of Linux administration
- Good understanding of monitoring and logging tools
Technologies you'll be working with
- AWS - CloudFormation and tooling
- AWS RDS (PostgreSQL)
- CloudFlare, AWS CloudFront, and imgix CDNs
- DDoS mitigation systems
- Buildkite, Travis
- RSpec, ExUnit
- RubyGems, mix
- React, Node.js (including server-side rendering)
- Elixir (specifically large CQRS architectures)
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- New Relic, Rollbar, Papertrail, ELK, and Datadog
What we offer
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Development Operations Engineer, you’ll be working on Envato’s fastest growing product, Elements. Elements is built with a microservices architecture, runs on Heroku, and handles thousands of requests per minute at peak The Elements team deploy their code changes up to 25-30 times per day, all via a CD pipeline.
A great team and culture
- We’re careful about hiring, and have built a team of great and diverse people
- We are all responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. We talk directly to our customers about what they’re working on.
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination.
- We work together as a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary team. You’ll be working alongside highly skilled people from product, design, UX, and marketing backgrounds, as well as other top-notch engineers.
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato.
- We invest in our people as they invest in us. There’s a generous training budget, and specific measurable personal goals to use that budget.
- We only do continuous delivery: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day.
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and encourage contributions back to open source projects we use
- We constantly support our team to improve their craft and run regular retro and education sessions
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard-working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- A fast-paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- We’re offering a competitive salary package & benefits ($85k-$125k package, but flexible depending on experience)
Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to questions in the application form. Good luck!
About us Envato is the world's leading marketplace for creative assets & creative people. With staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $400 Million. Millions of people around the world choose our marketplace, studio and courses to buy files, hire freelancers, or learn the skills needed to build websites, videos, apps, graphics and more.
Want to learn more about Envato? Visit Envato's website.
Jobs You May Like
Computational Imaging Lead
Essential Products, Palo Alto, CA
Engineering Program Manager
Essential Products, Palo Alto, CA
Sr. Director, A&R, AWAL
Kobalt Music Group, Los Angeles
Robinhood, Menlo Park, CA
Classy, San Diego Headquarters
Site Reliability Engineer, Traffic
Pinterest, San Francisco