Senior Search Infrastructure Engineer (San Francisco)
Etsy, San Francisco, CA
Peer-to-peer e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and supplies
About the Role
- Design, develop, and evolve the core infrastructure of our search platform
- Help us improve our next-generation information retrieval system which allows Etsy to ship new relevance-based AI products while simultaneously improving the quality of our existing infrastructure
- Build highly scalable system software using primarily Java and Scala
- Analyze the shortcomings of the existing systems and propose alternatives
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally
- You’re an infrastructure engineer that takes pride in building reliable systems with great visibility that engineers love to work with.
- You care deeply about the product and know how and when to make trade-offs.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or BS with 2+ years of equivalent work experience
- Experience developing information retrieval technology or a strong desire to become an expert in the domain
- Experience architecting, improving, and operating large scale distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of developing and debugging with Java or Scala one of the following languages: Java, Scala
- Comfort working on a *NIX command line and reading/writing Bash
- Experience with higher level scripting languages such as Python or PHP
Etsy is a marketplace where people around the world connect, both online and offline, to make, sell and buy unique goods.
The heart and soul of Etsy is our global community: the creative entrepreneurs who use Etsy to sell what they make or curate, the shoppers looking for things they can’t find anywhere else, the manufacturers who partner with Etsy sellers to help them grow, and the Etsy employees who maintain and nurture our marketplace.