Data Scientist, Quantitative Insights
Peer-to-peer e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and supplies
Etsy is looking for a Data Scientist focusing on quantitative insights, with an opportunity to drive core algorithmic advances and apply their ideas in the dynamic world of E-commerce in strengthening Etsy’s global marketplace.
Etsy is looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data Science team. We are committed to advancing E-commerce related fields by building technologies that help Etsy buyers and sellers discover and celebrate handmade goods from all over the world. We are seeking individuals passionate in areas such as statistics, causal inference, time series analysis, observational study, hypothesis testing and experimental designs. Data scientists can publish their innovations at top tier conferences such as KDD, NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, WWW, WSDM, SIGIR and etc.
This role is located in either Brooklyn, or San Francisco.
What We’re Working On:
- Hypothesis Testing
- Causal Inference
- Experimental Design
- Observational Study
- Time Series Analysis
Who You Are:
- You share our values (below) and are looking for a company that has a solid mission.
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills. You are familiar with techniques in Statistics, Causal Inference, Time Series Analysis, Observational Study, Hypothesis Testing and Experimental Designs or related fields.
- You have a Ph.D. degree or Master degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Economics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related fields.
- You have strong technical and programming skills. You are familiar with relevant technologies and languages (e.g. R, Python and etc.). You have experience in or desire to learn Hadoop/Vertica related Big Data technologies.
- You have demonstrated the capability to review and write technical papers.
- You can contribute to research that can be applied to Etsy products.
- You have the ability to quickly prototype ideas and solve complex problems by adapting creative approaches.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator and you make the engineers around you grow and learn.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.
Etsy is a marketplace where people around the world connect, both online and offline, to make, sell and buy unique goods.
The heart and soul of Etsy is our global community: the creative entrepreneurs who use Etsy to sell what they make or curate, the shoppers looking for things they can’t find anywhere else, the manufacturers who partner with Etsy sellers to help them grow, and the Etsy employees who maintain and nurture our marketplace.
Want to learn more about Etsy? Visit