Advisory - Senior Consultant, Financial Crime Compliance
Exiger, London, UK
- Participate in local and international advisory and assurance engagements which typically focuses on financial crime, governance and risk management.
- Particular focus on assisting in the set-up for remediaton projects, assisting in mobilisation activities with the client, participation in identification and / or recruitment of internal and external resources and support training.
- Scope, plan and design work programs to evaluate the adequacy, comprehensiveness and effectiveness of client’s governance, risk management and compliance arrangements, systems and controls typically helping clients to assess the adequacy of their internal controls or manage strategic implications of regulation, effective implementation of new requirements and identification, management and remediation of regulatory risks and issues.
- Execute work programs through client interviews, review of available documentation and sample-based testing.
- Review and record KYC documentation and ensure paperwork is retained in line with company policy for client on-boarding and/or CDD/EDD refresh of customer information.
- Evaluate adherence to applicable internal policy requirements and governance structures as well as relevant laws and regulations.
- Perform critical impact analysis on client programs and assists in making strategic recommendations.
- Investigate and report issues, as needed, conducting inquires, obtaining and reviewing necessary documents and interviewing client staff, as appropriate.
- Identify deficiencies in processes and controls and recommend solutions to complex issues.
- Work with client staff to agree on corrective actions to strengthen governance, risk management or compliance programs, processes and controls.
- Prepare reports and presentations that articulate the results/conclusions of the review activities.
- Participate in strategic and tactical client projects to increase client offering.
- Maintain a professional understanding of business regulation – both consumer and market-facing – including anti-money laundering, sanctions, fraud, anti-bribery and corruption, governance and systems and controls.
- Maintain an understanding of business operations and regulatory guidance/expectations.
- Maintain effective working relationships with team members and stakeholders.
- Perform the day to day project activities as required to delivery the assignment.
- Perform assigned work independently or within a small team, with minimal guidance, typically reporting to a more senior member of the team.
- Deliver high quality work within established timeframes and budgets.
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience working for a financial institution or consulting firm focusing on AML, sanctions and/or anti-corruption compliance. A familiarity with financial crime compliance controls such as sanction screening, transaction monitoring and suspicious activity reporting, KYC and risk assessments.
- Experience in remediation projects including remediation of high risk clients and understanding and application of enhanced due diligence
- Advanced analytical and issue resolution ability and problem solving is essential. Experienced in identifying potential control issues and their root cause, and identifying enhancement opportunities in financial crime compliance programs.
- Experience in identifying potential financial crime risks in complex financial products, systems and processes. Familiarity with correspondent banking, trade finance, payment systems and SWIFT messages.
- Experience working with the online information resources commonly used in investigative research (e.g. LexisNexis, Westlaw, Factiva, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to clients’ strategic issues.
- Strong written and oral communications skills with demonstrated report writing skills.
- Ability to draft accurate, concise summaries of complex information and to make recommendations for improvement.
- Strong attention to detail. Experience in data analysis and the preparation of spreadsheets.
- High level of initiative, strong work ethic, and self-motivation.
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment while accomplishing individual projects.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner.
- Understanding of IT controls a plus.
Professional Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters preferred.
- At least five years of relevant industry experience as a practitioner or consultant in Big 4 or similar sized firms working within the financial services, public or large corporates sectors involving regulatory or compliance work.
- Computer and Internet proficient, with mastery of Microsoft applications required.
- Proficient written and verbal English language skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 50-60% based on client locations and needs.
- Additional language skills are a plus.
Never before has the balance between business opportunity and regulatory risk been so tenuous. Exiger addresses this challenge head-on by developing sustainable compliance programs that meet today’s strict regulatory requirements while acknowledging that businesses cannot afford to play it safe. In a world where the fastest path to driving shareholder value is to expand into developing – often high-risk – economies, Exiger helps financial institutions, multinational corporations, and governmental agencies pursue their strategic goals with the confidence that regulatory change will not alter their course.Exiger was formed by a group of leading authorities on financial crimes compliance to solve some of the most complex problems confronting business today. The firm arms financial institutions and multinational corporations with the practical expertise and tools they need to prevent breaches in compliance, respond to risk intelligence, remediate gaps and monitor ongoing business activities.Initially launched to lead the court-appointed Monitorship of HSBC – the most comprehensive Monitoring assignment ever awarded by the Department of Justice – Exiger is entrusted with evaluating the effectiveness of internal compliance controls used by the $2.7 trillion banking institution across approximately 6,000 offices operating in nearly 70 countries around the world.In addition to its Monitorship work, Exiger guides a wide range of clients around the world through the process of managing the worst-case scenario compliance challenges and implementing the programs they need to prevent them in the future.
Want to learn more about Exiger? Visit Exiger's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.