Senior Software Engineer, Back-end Web
FiftyThree, New York
Tools for mobile creation and visual thinking
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer, Back-end Web
Discipline: Software Engineering
Reports to: Software Engineering Manager, Back-end Web
Location: New York, NY
We are FiftyThree, makers of creativity-boosting tools including the award-winning app, Paper, and companion stylus, Pencil. FiftyThree also happens to be a world-class web shop, building productivity tools for the modern workplace. Our latest app, Paste, is a web-based visual collaboration tool built from the ground up for Slack teams. We are hard at work at our next iteration of Paper and Paste features, and that's where you come in.
You are a talented back-end engineer looking to join a team of top-notch web developers. You enjoy building rich, robust, and performant back-end web applications. You have a passion for making data flow cleanly, efficiently, and synchronously across clients. You feel at home creating complex back-end services that interact with and integrate data coming from a constellation of external APIs and services. You are excited to ship updates and features to customers frequently.
Don't worry if the criteria below doesn't describe you perfectly. We are a small organization looking for someone who can work well with the team and is excited by our products, technology, and overall direction.
• Execute on a software architecture and development plan to bring products, APIs, and services to life
• Propose novel solutions to design and technical challenges
• Lead, manage and resolve technical or design discussions or conflicts
• Communicate effectively with the engineering team and other disciplines, raising issues early and offering solutions
• Develop all software according to coding standards and processes, which you also help define
• Perform reviews of other engineers' code, designs, and architectures
• Mentor junior engineers
• Make use of unit and integration tests wherever possible
• Participate in in-house hackathons and engineering events
• Participate in the interview process for new team members
• BS degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience
• A solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and software design
• 5+ years professional software development experience
• Proven, self-motivated engineer with a track record of creating production-quality web applications
• Possess a strong passion for building back-end APIs and services
• Working knowledge of modern back-end technologies such as Node.js, SQL, and REST
• Experience with cloud infrastructure such as AWS/EC2/S3, Docker, MySQL/PostgreSQL
• Proficient with Git or similar revision control systems
• Able to create a development plan for a given feature set, estimate its tasks, and execute on those tasks in an efficient manner
• Able to work effectively in a cross-disciplinary environment, particularly with front-end engineers
• Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(K)
• Life Insurance
• Commuter Benefits
• Catered in-office lunches twice weekly and fully stocked pantry
• Flexible Time Off Policy
• Paid Parental Leave
• Employee Equity Program
We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
FiftyThree builds tools that make ideas better. They are the makers of Paper, the fast and beautiful productivity app for getting ideas down, and Pencil, the award-winning stylus, and Paste the fastest way for teams to gather, organize, and share their ideas. Internationally recognized for design excellence and innovation, they’ve received awards from Apple, IDSA, The Edison Awards, and IxDA.