Art Director, Topic.com
First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
We are seeking an Art Director to manage the look and feel of our digital magazine, visual storytelling and video properties on Topic.com. The ideal candidate will have a passion for design, compelling narratives and have extensive experience creating content across multiple digital platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TV Apps (Roku, AppleTV), and Snapchat.
The Art Director at Topic.com will manage all visual representation and layouts of graphic design and video for all digital platforms (ie. key art / title art, templates, etc) while working on brand creative initiatives, editorial placement, product design, and promotional integration to create a cohesive, recognizable brand statement across all platforms. The Art Director will be required to work collaboratively and creatively with the Topic.com editorial team, including photography and visuals editors, and will be strongly encouraged to contribute fresh ideas for visual storytelling formats across multiple platforms.
We are looking for a dedicated, adaptable, collaborative and imaginative leader who lives at the intersection of platform and editorial design. The Art Director will give art and design direction for all of the site’s strategic priorities including the engagement and retention of our audiences and will help to elevate the role and quality of design for Topic’s brand to the consumer, creative and media/entertainment industries. This role will work closely with the Topic magazine and video editorial team, helping to form a smoothly run partnership across the organization. The Art Director will have a strong design aesthetic, but will also be be adaptable and able to solve visual problems about what’s best for the brand and business.
The Art Director will be embedded with the Topic.com team and will report to the Head of Creative and Design under First Look Media’s Marketing team in addition to having a dotted line to Topic.com’s SVP of Editorial.
- Collaborate with the editorial team on the layout, arrangement, and story structure of Topic.com’s photos, visuals, video, and illustrations across all digital platforms.
- Collaborate with design, editorial and marketing teams to evolve and maintain a visual identity for the brand.
- Work with the Topic.com team (SVP of Editorial, Editor, Photo Editor, and General Manager of Topic.com and the First Look Media creative team (SVP of Marketing, VP of Creative and Design) to develop an aesthetic and brand that reflects Topic.com’s core values and ideals.
- Be highly collaborative and adaptable with teams and individuals across all of First Look Media brands to tackle new art initiatives, and meet unexpected challenges.
- Participate and facilitate in creative brainstorming sessions with Creative, Marketing and Editorial teams.
- Present creative work passionately and persuasively to stakeholders across the organization and externally.
- Collaborate with photographers, illustrators, designers, video producers/editors, animators and other creative partners on projects of various scales that will support larger brand vision, voice and goals.
- Build strong, supportive, and constructive relationships throughout the creative team and cross-functionally across the organization.
- Brainstorm on campaign development, creative brief development and creative execution.
- Keep the consumer and business needs at the forefront and balanced with all creative and branding decisions.
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 8 years of digital art design experience, preferably in publishing, entertainment, or media.
- Bachelor's degree in design, advertising, fine art or related field.
- Proven track record of successfully collaborating with editorial/content, marketing, creative and technical teams.
- Experience with Key Art highly preferred.
- Strong sense of visual storytelling and visual aesthetic.
- Exceptional conceptual and design skills and a robust portfolio that shows your talent in both print and web.
- Knowledge of industry standard image editing tools and processes; an expertise of the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) – plus (ideally) an understanding of Flash, video production and motion graphics.
- The ability to take feedback as a process and a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in startup environment.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and thoughtfully.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate and work well with multiple teams.
- Self-starter who is a detail-oriented, and enthusiastic team player.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional design aesthetic, solid typography skills and awareness of design trends.
- Public recognition from the design community and recipient of design award a plus.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
Want to learn more about First Look Media? Visit First Look Media's website.
Jobs You May Like
Data Warehouse Manager
ModCloth, Los Angeles, CA
Software Engineer - Greenplum Database - San Francisco
Pivotal Software, San Francisco, California
Imaging System Engineer
Vicarious, San Francisco Bay Area
Security Engineer - Infrastructure
Cloudflare, San Francisco, CA
Technical Data Analyst
OpenX, OpenX - Pasadena
Blue State Digital, NYC