Audience Engagement Editor, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for an Audience Engagement Editor to develop our digital strategy across platforms, including expanding and deepening our relationship with our audience. The ideal candidate is an experienced journalist who is passionate about the mission of The Intercept, eager to experiment on social and mobile platforms, and work on initiatives to build our membership program.
- Lead the audience engagement team, which promotes The Intercept’s journalism on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Apple News, and other platforms
- Oversee editing and production of The Intercept’s weekly newsletter and various email campaigns
- Partner with revenue team to help build and grow our membership program
- Collaborate with video and design teams to develop engaging visual storytelling across platforms
- Work with Communications Director and editorial and revenue teams to plan and execute live events that deepen our relationship with our audience
- Identify and test new strategies for building our presence on emerging social and mobile platforms
- Train editors on best practices for search engine optimization, interpreting analytics, and sharing our journalism on social media
- Use analytics to make informed decisions about developing a loyal audience, including effective tactics for converting casual readers to members
- 7+ years of work experience, including 5+ years in digital journalism
- Experience running the social media presence of a news organization or other branded account
- Established presence on Twitter, Facebook, and at least two other social networks
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and analytics tools, such as Parse.ly, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, and/or CrowdTangle
- Well-organized, hardworking, and able to simultaneously manage multiple stories and projects in a fast-moving news environment
- Knowledge of AP style, impeccable grammar and copy editing skills
- Excellent news judgment and commitment to the highest standards of journalism
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
Want to learn more about First Look Media? Visit First Look Media's website.
Jobs You May Like
Data Science Online Course Instructor (Part-Time, Contract)
Customer Success Engineer - Java - Python
Scopely, Culver City, CA
Senior Graphic Designer
Project Manager - Data Science Curriculum
DataCamp, Leuven, Belgium or London
Associate Content Support Engineer
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL