Video Editor/Motion Designer
First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
- Creating video promos, teasers, trailers across all First Look Media brands.
- Creating sizzle reels, showcasing our content for website, presentations and live events.
- Creating original content for social to promote our brands, service and programming.
- Animating audiograms and other extensions of our content.
- Animating motion graphics to improve storytelling across all brands.
- Editing BTS footage as bonus content.
- Helping to organize and produce in-house and on location shoots.
- Own individual projects from conception to completion.
- Keeping files extremely organized.
- Working directly with the head of creative and other stakeholders to constantly push, evolve and elevate the work.
- Being diligent about keeping project managers in the loop regarding the status of all projects.
- Participating in brainstorm sessions related to projects and overall department, and company goals.
- Hosting workshops and tutorials to share any tips and techniques that may help the collective team grow or improve process.
- Staying on top of industry trends, advancements and new storytelling techniques that could elevate the work.
- Helping to problem solve creative and technical problems.
- Pulling stills from video for thumbnails.
- Pulling video clips.
- 3+ years of related experience as a video editor / motion designer.
- 3+ years editing with Adobe Premiere.
- 2+ years animating with Adobe AfterEffects.
- Experience telling emotionally compelling stories through video.
- Experience creating content for social media platforms and audiences.
- Experience using stock audio tracks, audio enhancements and sound design to elevate the storytelling and work.
- Experience using color correction to enhance quality and consistency of video.
- Experience renting and operating cameras, lighting and other shoot equipment.
- Incredibly creative, organized, efficient and dedicated to creating quality work.
- Ability to take feedback as a process and a means to continually improve, grow and pivot as needed.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and to prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in a startup environment.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and thoughtfully.
- Ability to share feedback in a constructive way.
- Ability to help problem solve and come up with solutions.
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.