VP, Marketing, Topic
First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
The Vice President, Marketing, Topic is responsible for brand, content & performance marketing strategies to build and retain a subscriber base for Topic’s new streaming service. The role spans brand (brand identity, positioning, awareness campaigns, social media/influencer), content (title and programming campaigns and creative strategy), and acquisition (performance media campaign planning), to build the subscriber base and establish the customer lifecycle (email, push, in-app) to engage & retain across all channels and partnerships.
Collaborate with the creative, programming, social, analytics, product, and business teams to identify and implement strategies to meet organizational goals, including subscriber acquisition and retention, creative development, revenue, events, and more.
We want a curious, creative, and critical thinker who can translate insights into initiatives that create growth, while leading projects from conception to completion.
This role will be an integral member of the Marketing team and will report to the SVP, Marketing. The role will have two direct reports.
- Brand Awareness: Develop and execute on brand campaigns that build awareness and interest for Topic in the market
- Content Positioning & Marketing: Oversee the creation of creative briefs, title positionings, and strategy materials. Collaborate with creative and development teams to market our streaming content.
- Customer Acquisition & Paid Media: Develop along with Director of Acquisitions a highly-efficient performance driven media plans that effectively promote our brands and content across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google (YouTube, AdWords, Paid Search, SEO), App Stores, and more.
- Customer Retention: Develop along with Director of Retention, efficient strategies to ensure engagement with our brand and service
- Audience Targeting and Outreach: Understand the position of our brand and develop an in-depth understanding of the Topic user to inform strategy that drives LTV and other established KPIs
- Partnerships: Establish and maintain partnerships (including syndication, content swaps, sweepstakes, etc.) with third party publishers to grow subscribers and brand presence.
- Analytics/Optimization: Understand changes in traffic and engagement in order to translate user response data into actionable insights. Work closely with the analytics and product team to identify testing initiatives to improve onsite engagement.
- Podcasts: For Topic’s streaming titles that include podcasts, lead the development of the podcast initiatives that grow listeners and build awareness for Topic’s streaming service.
- Newsletters: Develop and execute audience acquisition & retention strategies for Topic’s email offering to increase engagement and subscriber base.
Background & Qualifications:
- 10+ or more years of marketing experience, preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), video or media
- Experience working with programming/development, product, creative, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Experience overseeing campaigns on social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Adwords, etc.
- Extensive experience with developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Understanding of analytics solutions (Google Analytics), social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc) and social listening (Shareablee, Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate and work well with multiple teams.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand, streaming service, and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.