First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
We’re looking for an accomplished strategic and creative thinker and seasoned marketing executive to serve as our Senior Vice President of Marketing to lead the company’s overall marketing effort across our commercial entertainment company and our non-profit organization, including our ambitious direct-to-consumer brands and our growing entertainment studio. This role oversees all marketing, creative, research and analytics functions across the organization and manages a team of dedicated and inspired individuals. The head of marketing is also responsible for defining, developing and executing the company’s marketing strategy to support business growth, enhance brand awareness and manage all marketing functions to help achieve the company’s objectives related to sales, growth, and profitability.
Based in New York City, the Senior Vice President of Marketing reports to the CEO and is a key member of First Look Media’s senior executive team.
Who We Are:
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration and excellence defines First Look Media. We are a unique enterprise with one purpose and two missions.
Our for-profit enterprise houses Topic Studios, an award-winning entertainment studio that operates across film, television, and podcasts and brings to the screen some of the most culturally significant and provocative stories of our time. We recently also launched our new Topic-branded streaming service with premier, original, and hand-selected programming from around the globe available on Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Amazon Fire and Android with more coming soon.
Our non-profit is home to The Intercept, renowned for its dedication to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, news organizations and whistleblowers standing up for press freedoms and access to information that is in the public interest. Our work here breaks stories through fearless, investigative journalism, produces documentary cinema that explores the world through fresh new perspectives, and supports those who are unjustly threatened in pursuit of a free and open society and press.
Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
- Define and drive First Look Media’s go-to-market approach across all businesses
- Lead and manage the entire First Look Media marketing function across strategy, creative, paid media, partnerships, social media, research and analytics
- Guide, oversee and mentor team of marketers, creatives and analysts to achieve department and company goals
- Serve as the senior level marketing thought leader offering strategic input and guidance across the broader organization to ensure all teams benefit from market knowledge and relentlessly focus on innovation
- Collaborate with internal teams, particularly Content, Communications, Product, and Business to develop new innovative solutions that help achieve company goals
- Develop and manage relationships with top external partners, clients, agencies, and platforms for all First Look Media brands
- Oversee marketing, creative, research and analytics budgets
Background & Qualifications:
- 10+ years marketing experience within the entertainment industry preferably from a streaming service, studio, or network
- Focus on digital media, eComm, customer acquisition and OTT services
- Experienced in distribution across owned, earned and paid media channels
- A thorough knowledge of marketing principles, branding and customer acquisition strategies.
- An instinct to evaluate market research and adjust new business strategies to meet changing market and competitive conditions
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team and inspire creativity throughout the organization
- A comprehensive understanding of the changing dynamics of the media landscape and audience behavior, across television, film, publishing, and digital content.
- Superb analytical skills
- Experience in leading strategic discussions with C-level executives
- A flexible, collaborative, open minded, easy going personality and entrepreneurial spirit suited to a fast-moving startup environment.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills as well as a refined design aesthetic.
- Proven track record leading and managing teams
- Understanding of how to apply marketing strategy to create and activate ideas across social, experiential, and all forms of content with heavy emphasis on video
- An insatiable curiosity for learning about emerging platforms
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer --people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.