Photo Editor, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY
See jobs at First Look Media
The Photo Editor will be responsible for The Intercept’s use of photography on its website and across other platforms, including researching, selecting, editing, and producing both wire and commissioned photos. The ideal candidate is highly creative, understands the significance of visual imagery, knows how to tell a story in new and interesting ways, has a developed eye for photography, and is deeply interested in the mission of The Intercept and the subjects it covers.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative team member, decisive thinker and problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced digital news environment; is organized and able to prioritize multiple projects, some with tight deadlines; and has excellent visual and news instincts, research and communication skills, and contacts in the industry.
The Photo Editor will report to the Creative Director and will work closely with other members of the art team.
- Help establish a strong editorial voice and sensibility through smart selection of wire photos as well as original photography
- Work on news stories, long-term projects, and short- and long-form features
- Collaborate with editors and reporters for stories’ visual needs
- Train editors, reporters and digital producers on basics of selecting and publishing wire photos and obtaining permissions; supervise their work as needed
- Develop a network of photographers
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Director and art department on concepts for stories, determining which stories require commissioned photography or other visual elements
- Collaborate on generating ideas for visual projects and videos
- In collaboration with the Creative Director, commission and oversee photographers, including creating visual concepts and determining budget and schedule, using stock photos to meet the needs of the project, as well as working with the broader team to ensure safety in field reporting.
- Write photo assignments, ensuring the photographer clearly understands the angle of the story and opportunities on the shoot
- Provide feedback to photographers on their assignments
- Work with the audience engagement team to identify the best images for daily distribution across all available channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Ensure images are properly licensed; help negotiate fees and supervise contracts and cost-shares in collaboration with the legal department
Background + Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience working in photo editing, preferably on digital news platforms
- Enthusiasm for news and investigative journalism, both U.S. and internationally focused
- Knowledge of photographers and related resources, and the ability to clearly assign and direct freelance photographers as well as select and mentor Fellows in the photo department
- Familiarity with common digital content management systems
- Strong interest in Instagram and producing posts that create engagement
- Strong communication skills and team player
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software (including Photoshop)
- Proven grasp of rights and clearance requirements for all work, commissioned or licensed
To apply, submit a resume and a cover letter. Please include links to work for which you selected or commissioned photography or illustration.
This position is recognized as part of the Writer’s Guild of America, East, Inc., “Union."
About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
Want to learn more about First Look Media? Visit First Look Media's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one