The Manager, Growth will support the Director, Growth to own the growth and retention strategies for the streaming service, Topic. Responsibilities will include development, execution, and optimization of integrated acquisition, retention and win-back campaigns to drive growth. In addition, this role could support performance marketing efforts for The Intercept, Field of Vision, and other First Look Media initiatives. The Manager will also focus on keeping subscribers engaged and active across all touchpoints, with the intention of optimizing LTV. Responsibilities will include monitoring and analyzing subscription retention metrics, and ongoing testing of ways to minimize churn. This is a unique chance to help shape a vital community and loyal brand following using data-driven strategy and tactics.
This position reports to the Director, Growth The Senior Manager will work in collaboration with teams across the organization to identify and implement strategies to increase subscribers and LTV.
- Understand the position of our brand and develop an in-depth understanding of the Topic user to inform strategy that drives LTV and other established KPIs
- Develop highly efficient performance driven media plans that effectively promote our brands, content and streaming service to grow subscribers. Utilize a mix of platforms and placements including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google (YouTube, AdWords, Paid Search), Amazon, Roku, Search, and more.
- Guide and collaborate with the marketing and creative teams to prepare all aspects of executing the paid media campaigns from brief writing to copy correction. We won’t be working with any external agencies.
- Work with SEO consultant to collaborate with the Engagement team to manage execution.
- Work with Director to help define and improve lifecycle marketing strategy across merchandising, email, push notifications, and other programs to increase retention and LTV on all distribution platforms.
- Analyze user behavior and performance by product, geography, platform, programming, and other factors to understand usage, LTV, and churn.
- Establish and conduct tests for new strategies to keep subscribers engaged or win them back following inactivity or churn. Scale successful pilots and optimize through iteration.
- Report out on overall acquisition, engagement and retention rates (and key drivers) to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Product team to ensure a seamless, on-brand experience throughout the end-to-end customer experience.
- Partner with Research & Analytics team to update retention dashboard and analyze campaign performance.
- Ensure consistent end-to-end messaging and test full funnel strategies.
- Work with the programming team to inform optimal title and creative execution for merchandising across platforms.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
- Work with Analytics and Research team to identify and develop audience segments and testing, present quantitative and qualitative insights to inform campaign creative and positioning of the Topic streaming service in the market.
- Collaborate with the Sales team to help fulfill commitments and increase partnerships.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5+ years in a relevant role driving retention preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), media or publishing.
- Experience overseeing campaigns on social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Adwords, etc.
- Experience developing paid media campaigns for SVOD platforms (Amazon, Roku, etc.)
- Experience working with editorial, product, creative, and technical teams.
- Ability to develop and execute paid media campaigns without an agency
- Demonstrated proficiency in internal web tracking solutions (Google Analytics), native social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc) and social media measurement experience (Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Inquisitive, strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Analytical mindset with ability to translate data and trends into actionable insights and execute against them.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively across teams.
- Proactive, can-do attitude, and adaptability
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced start up environment
About First Look Media
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration and excellence defines First Look Media. We are a unique enterprise with one purpose and two missions.
Our for-profit houses Topic Studios, an award-winning entertainment studio that operates across film, television, and podcasts and brings to the screen some of the most culturally significant and provocative stories of our time. We also launched our new Topic branded streaming service, with premier, original, and hand-selected programming from around the globe available on Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Amazon Fire and Android with more coming soon.
Our non-profit is home to The Intercept, renowned for its dedication to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the critically acclaimed, filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, news organizations and whistleblowers standing up for press freedoms and access to information that is in the public interest. Our work here breaks stories through fearless, investigative journalism, produces documentary cinema that explores the world through fresh new perspectives, and supports those who are unjustly threatened in pursuit of a free and open society and press.
Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
Topic is the flagship streaming service from First Look Media, curated for a curious and engaged audience seeking smart, provocative and meaningful entertainment. The rapidly growing service features North American premieres and exclusive programming from around the world, complemented by a diverse slate of Topic Originals.
Programming on Topic includes: the comedic variety series Second City Presents: The Last Show Left on Earth; Down from London from executive producer Sharon Horgan; horror anthology series Soul City from filmmakers Coodie and Chike; the dramatic series The Virtues from filmmaker Shane Meadows starring Stephen Graham; Maria Bamford’s discussion show on mental health, What’s Your Ailment?!; and international thriller, Pagan Peak.
Topic is available to US and Canadian audiences on Topic.com, Apple iOS, and AppleTV, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku, in addition to Amazon Prime Video Channels, Apple TV Channels, and Roku Premium Channels.
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios is the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media that develops, finances and produces provocative and entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television and podcasts.
The Studio is behind such notable films as the Academy Award® winning Spotlight; the critically acclaimed documentary The Fight; the Emmy Award® winning and Peabody® nominated 16 Shots and the docu-series Love Fraud, both on Showtime; Mucho Mucho Amor and the Emmy® nominated docu-series Losers, both streaming on Netflix; and pioneering podcasts including Missing Richard Simmons, the Peabody® nominated Running from COPS, John Cameron Mitchell’s Anthem featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo and Patti LuPone, and the investigative podcast Somebody.
About The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture. Through our award-winning entertainment studio, Topic, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look’s entertainment business supports the work of our nonprofit side, which is home to The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, filmmakers and others challenging actions that restrict press freedoms and impede access to information of public concern. First Look co-financed Spotlight, the 2016 Academy Award®-winning Best Picture and has continued to build an impressive slate of feature films under the Topic studio including: On the Other Side, with Carey Mulligan attached, which tells the story of Kate Webb, the female war correspondent who was held in captivity during the Vietnam War; Academy Award® nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto’s (Silence) directorial debut of Bastard with Martin Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff of Sikelia Productions, alongside producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land); My Abandonment directed by Academy Award®® nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone, Down to the Bone) and starring Ben Foster (Hell or High Water, The Messenger). In addition to feature films, our documentary film roster includes: No Man’s Land, produced in association with Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets, about the Patriot Movement; Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker & Trails of Free Press, directed by Brian Knappenberger, which premiered on Netflix; and the newly released Risk, from Academy Award® winner Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, which will premiere on Showtime this month. Our list of influential podcasts covering politics, current affairs and popular culture include the number one charting (iTunes) Missing Richard Simmons, Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell and Hari Kondabolu. We also publish The Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
Want to learn more about First Look Media? Visit First Look Media's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.