Senior Data Engineer
Fitbit, US - Boston
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world.
Think you’ve found your fit?
Who are you?
- You are a jack-of-all-trades and also a master-of-all-trades: you have a lot of technical tools in your toolbelt and could easily manipulate any of them to get the job done, but you know the best, most efficient way to accomplish your data goals.
- You are a fortune-teller: your favorite word is “scalability”. When building a data product, you think of its robustness today, tomorrow, and a year from now under various volumes and conditions
- You are a mind-reader: your ability to take vague, amorphous requirements and quickly translate them into efficient data products has been heralded as the finest example of wizardry across the land.
- You are a grizzled veteran: you most likely have 3-5 years of experience as a data engineer in a dynamic environment, but if you don’t, you make up for it with an unparalleled ability to educate yourself and actuate on this learning.
- You are an Olympian: you are fitness-oriented. You like to run, leap, climb, swim, etc. in some capacity in your spare time, and/or you have a fundamental understanding of why others like to run, leap, climb, swim, etc.
What will you do?
- Build, maintain, and update Fitbit’s growing suite of ETL processes that power the reports and dashboards used by various groups, including product management, marketing, and engineering
- Lead Fitbit’s data integration efforts by liaising with our central platform team and implementing a logical, yet nimble, data model using data engineering best practices
- Work with data scientists and machine learning engineers to stand up critical infrastructure for our production predictive models
- Work with analysts and data scientists to understand infrastructure needs and develop new summary tables, surface new metrics, etc. accordingly
- Develop intelligent alerting mechanisms for detecting data anomalies and ensuring data quality
- Work with client- and server-side engineers to ingest new data and properly surface for regular consumption
Our ideal Senior Data Engineer will have expertise in most (but preferably all) of these skills:
- SQL and working knowledge of relational databases
- NoSQL data stores like MongoDB and Cassandra
- Various programming languages (Scala, Python, R, Pig, etc.)
- Various infrastructure technologies (AWS, Spark, Kafka, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with ETL best practices and data modeling
- Self-starter able to make an impact with little guidance
- Top notch written and verbal communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit https://www.fitbit.com/
Jobs You May Like
Senior Application Security Engineer
MyFitnessPal, Austin, Baltimore or San Francisco
Senior Software Engineer, Growth Experiments
Evernote, Redwood City, CA
Software Engineer, Android
MyFitnessPal, Austin, TX
Developer Relations Intern
Slack, San Francisco