Director of Quality Engineering
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly-traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the perks of being public—offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like Friday happy hours, on-site fitness classes and more. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is made up of three modern buildings located at the heart of SOMA in San Francisco. Monday-Friday you can feast your eyes on amazing views of the skyline, then feast yourself on some of the city’s best food trucks, lunch spots and coffee shops. When you’ve had your fill, lace up and make your way to the Ferry Building for the perfect post-work run or walk along the water (with the Bay Bridge as your backdrop)!
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About Our Team
The Software Quality Engineering organization drives practices, processes, tools, values, and mindset that elevate the quality of Fitbit’s cloud and mobile software products. We’re a diverse group of software quality engineers and software engineers that span all of Fitbit’s global offices.
We partner with (& work in) development teams throughout the product lifecycle. Examples of what we help with:
- defining testing & quality management strategy
- formulating & documenting test plans
- setting quality targets and measuring progress
- automating test cases
- continuously improving the quality of development practices
- building tools & infrastructure for testing and for managing quality
- performing scripted and exploratory testing
- triaging reported issues or internal measures that look “not quite right”
- managing risks and confidence levels given incomplete information
In this role, you will lead the entire Software Quality Engineering organization and report to the VP of Software Infrastructure & Services Engineering. This is currently about 50 people, and includes a few dotted line reporting relationships to folks in some of our international offices.
You will often present your vision, metrics, forecasts, and ongoing assessments of software quality to leaders & executives across the company, and be a recognized champion for quality across all of engineering.
Some of the key things we know you’ll be responsible for:
- Define a vision, objectives, and metrics for the Software Quality Engineering organization and constituent teams, including measures that help us assess where and how we can have the most impact
- Effectively recruit, hire and retain great people, with the right mix of skills and experience to achieve those objectives
- Provide career development plans, technical leadership, and actionable feedback to the managers and other employees in your organization, so that they’re growing and our team continues improving in effectiveness
- Get hands-on enough to develop both strategic and tactical plans of action with respect to staff organization, technical roadmaps, and tool effectiveness in order to meet longer-term objectives and shorter-term product delivery plans
- Work closely with other leaders during various planning cycles and planning events to improve our practices for how quality work gets represented and affects delivery forecasts
Of course, we expect you’ll find new responsibilities and/or delegate some of the above as you establish your role.
Skills & Qualifications
As a Director level role, we expect that you have managed managers, and led global teams of 50+ people before. This should include leading quality teams at some level. You should have a history of championing and improving quality wherever you go. We also expect that you have a solid knowledge of both the technical and people factors for testing software and managing software quality.
Given where we are as a team and a company, we believe that (any or many of) the following will be extremely helpful:
- Experience with cloud-enabled features that see millions of customers, as well as experience delivering software at a variety of cadences--from nearly-continuous to monthly
- Experience also leading Software Engineering or Web Operations teams, as a senior individual contributor, manager, or director
- Experience with meeting rigorous quality standards in an industry such as healthcare, aviation, or finance
- Led or helped lead changes in culture across all teams in a software development organization
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Platform Solutions Engineering Manager
TripleLift, New York
Senior Project Manager
ESC, Birmingham City Centre
IT Support Technician
Brown Bag Marketing, Atlanta
Software Engineer, Identity
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Software Engineer (Scala)
LiveIntent, LiveIntent Berlin
WePay, Redwood City, CA