Research Engineer- Algorithms
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly-traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public—offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like free lunches, Friday happy hours, on-site fitness classes and more. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is made up of three modern buildings located at the heart of SOMA in San Francisco. Monday-Friday you can feast your eyes on amazing views of the skyline, then feast yourself on some of the city’s best food trucks, lunch spots and coffee shops. When you’ve had your fill, lace up and make your way to the Ferry Building for the perfect post-work run or walk along the water (with the Bay Bridge as your backdrop)!
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
Fitbit Research is world-class team of hacker-scientist-types who dream up, prototype, and deliver shipping products. We investigate a big set of problems from hardware development to embedded signal processing algorithms to data mining. Experimentation is critical. We work in a dynamic and collaborative environment where the goal is to learn things quickly, iterate fast, and make awesome products.
This role is for a research engineer with expertise in the areas of signal processing and machine learning, targeted at sensor-driven algorithms and features. For example, the candidate may be asked to develop solutions around topics such as activity recognition, heart rate estimation, step counting, disease detection, etc. The candidate should be proficient in developing signal processing and machine learning algorithms, and implementing these in production systems, which may include low-power/embedded platforms. Some background in the analysis of physiological or biomedical signals is also strongly desired.
The responsibilities of a research engineer are to:
- Apply skills in signal processing and machine learning to build intelligent features for our users
- Develop algorithms using data from new and existing sensor streams
- Manage data collection by designing experiments or leveraging existing data sources
- Test and validate your algorithms in both the lab and the field
- Work with engineering teams to implement algorithms in production firmware and backend code
- Work with product and UX teams to define product specifications and design.
- A masters or PhD in electrical engineering, computer science, applied physics or a related field.
- 2+ year industry experience demonstrating performance in the areas of signal processing and machine learning
- Strong programming expertise (Python, C, SQL)
- Experience in design of experiments to collect physiological data
- Motivated, independent, efficient and able to handle several projects
- Friendly, articulate, and interested in working in a fun, small team environment
- Knowledge of embedded processing
- Experience with modern machine learning techniques like deep learning, and tools like TensorFlow
- Prior experience working with product managers, designers, and software developers
- Experience in regulated medical software products
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one