Senior Software Engineer - Fitbit Health Solutions
Fitbit, US - Boston
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About The Role:
The Fitbit Plus team at Fitbit is committed to empowering individuals to take control of their health and equipping health coaches and other healthcare providers with tools that optimize collaboration and care.
WE are a passionate team building out the tools to improve health outcomes across our rapidly growing user base. We strive to continually improve our code and our process, ensuring that we can deliver the best feature set to users in the minimal amount of time. We believe that we can change lives with the work we do.
YOU are a talented Senior Software Engineer focused on shipping the best quality software. You value autonomy, ownership, and collaborative, fast-moving environments. You enjoy analyzing problems and architecting solutions, and believe that every interaction the customer has should be compelling and first rate. You write clear and concise code using modern tools and frameworks.
We ask a lot of our back end infrastructure. We need it to perform. We have ambitious goals so we need it to scale. As a Senior Software Engineer you will understand the needs of our users and work closely with a cross-functional team to craft a simple and high quality platform to meet them, delivering distributed architectures and full stack solutions that push the state of the art.
What You’ll Work On:
- Engineering delivery of the Fitbit Plus backend services, supporting mobile and cross-browser web clients, to millions of users with Node.js, Java, MongoDB, MySQL, and related tools and technologies in a scalable cloud environment
- Take ownership of back-end component designs, implementation, deployment, and performance monitoring
- Participate in all aspects of product development from feature definition and estimation, to architecture, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and monitoring
- Expand our existing set of automated tests and work with test and performance engineers to deliver high product quality at scale
- Focus on back end or span the full stack
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent skill
- 5+ years of experience delivering value in B2B or consumer-facing software business
- Experience designing, testing, delivering, and monitoring scalable high-availability software in a cloud computing environment, such as Amazon EC2 or Google Cloud Platform (preferred) or similar
- Proficient with a modern NoSQL database (especially MongoDB or Cassandra) OR with a modern, horizontally scaled SQL database (especially sharded MySQL)
- Testing and deploying software with robust credentialing and access controls
- Microservices architecture design
- Distributed messaging systems (e.g. Kafka)
- A track record of leading projects with a group of your peers
- Experience in hiring and mentoring team members
- Experience with HIPAA / HITRUST
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Choose your technology. Mac or PC
- Full-time, flexible work schedule
- Ability to grow professionally in a global team
- Comfortable office, fruits and snacks
- Free Fitbit products
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.