Software Development Manager, Firmware Engineering
Fitbit, Romania - Bucharest
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
Create and lead a team of exceptional engineers in our Bucharest office to deliver cutting-edge features in Fitbit’s products. You will own embedded software engineering within certain functional areas across numerous product development and technology development projects. In addition to defining technology roadmaps and strategies in your functional area, you will drive excellence in execution. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving both technical and personnel leadership.
- Build and lead a team of 7-10+ embedded software engineers contributing to and leading development in product and technology projects
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap
- Oversee and champion architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices focused on platform development and leverage
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, firmware department management, and recruiting team
- Participate in firmware department processes and initiatives including budgeting
- May manage one or more supplier/vendor relationships
- Lead or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
- 5 years experience managing embedded software engineers with multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- In-depth experience in engineering or managing one or more functional areas such as:
- Communications: Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, WLAN (802.11b/g/n/ac), NFC, LTE
- User interfaces for embedded devices: graphics/windowing SDKs, fonts, haptic interfaces, internationalization and localisation, LED control
- Platforms: operating systems, system services, BSPs and drivers
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ultra low power / ultra small footprint software design background preferred
- Systems engineering skills for embedded software and hardware
- Experience with commercial software development in a highly constrained RTOS environment
- Familiar with capital budgeting and portfolio planning
- Embedded software product line engineering techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent in English
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sales Engineer, Enterprise Accounts (Nashville, TN)
Box, Nashville, TN
Senior Software Engineer
Bench, Vancouver HQ
Développeur(se) Front-End Senior
Specialized, Dong Nai, Vietnam
Head of Airborne Electronics
Senior Front-End Engineer
1stdibs, New York City - Astor Place