Principal Systems Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Diego
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit’s Device Engineering team is looking for a Principal Systems Engineer to support design and development of increasingly complex wearable and connected devices. The Principal Systems Engineer will be a core member of Fitbit’s Systems Engineering and Architecture team. Work is cross functional with other engineering groups, working in small teams that solve a variety of exciting technical challenges.
What You’ll Work On:
- Design, develop, and drive embedded system designs to help create the next generation of wearable fitness device.
- Interface with program teams to understand the product/program requirement and translate it to a system architecture which supports target product and aligned well with future products in the roadmap
- Interface with electrical engineering for SoC selection, memory configuration, sensor and display selection, schematic reviews etc.
- Interface with embedded software development team to ensure OS selection, study software impact of component selection, evaluate and communicate HW programming sequences
- Create system specification documentation that translate the PRD requirements to a system specification. This will be used to inter alia to define pin muxing, define power and clock configuration, define different sleep states and transition between different sleep states, provide a system level block diagram etc.
- Own and maintain the project estimates for CPU, memory, I/O and power resource usage (and thus spare capacity) for a specific product
- Research and review new tools, technologies and industry trends which might affect the project and its successors
- Discuss new technologies and possible joint development work with different vendors
- Help define and specify system level design and requirements that is used by vendors to provide system or subsystem solutions.
Who You Are:
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- 8+ years experience of system engineering on battery operated devices with a good understanding of the power/performance tradeoffs
- Solid understanding of SoC architecture, data processing and memory management on ARM based devices
- Solid understanding of wearable device architecture
- System engineering experience on wearable devices is a plus
- Track record of excelling in a multidisciplinary team environment
- C development and software architecture skills
- Knowledge of silicon architecture and the silicon manufacturing cycle
- Knowledge of Bluetooth and/or NFC wireless protocols a plus.
- Knowledge of electronic circuits with experience in debugging embedded systems
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sr. Voice Network Engineer
Airbnb, San Francisco, CA
Part Time Front End Web Development Instructor
General Assembly, Boston, MA
Software Engineer Internship
Domeyard LP, Boston, MA
Senior Front-End Developer - Analytics
Lightspeed, Montreal, QC
Intern Automation - ALM System
Ginkgo Bioworks, Boston, MA