Senior Data Engineer, Global Operations
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world.
Think you’ve found your fit?
The Senior Data Engineer owns the worldwide responsibility for data architecture and analytics within Global Operations, reporting to the Director of Strategy Deployment. Ownership includes ETL processes, our data warehouse technology stack, and visualization tools. In order to be successful in the below activities, the person will need to establish strong working relationships with teams across Global Operations (NPD, Sourcing, Planning, Mfg, Quality, Logistics, and Customer Service), as well as Data Science Engineering, Business Systems and Process, and IT in order to proactively set priorities as well as influence the overall strategy and implementation.
- Build, maintain, and update Fitbit’s growing suite of ETL processes that power the reports and dashboards used by Global Operations
- Effectively manage and operate our data warehouse technology stack while considering such issues as scalability, availability and operational support
- Lead Fitbit’s data integration efforts by liaising with our central platform team and implementing a logical, yet nimble, data model using data engineering best practices
- Be a thought leader in the types of tools and architecture we stand up for our stakeholders
- Work with data scientists and machine learning engineers to stand up critical infrastructure for our production predictive models
- Work with analysts and data scientists to understand infrastructure needs and develop new summary tables, surface new metrics, etc. accordingly
- Develop intelligent alerting mechanisms for detecting data anomalies and ensuring data quality
- Seek out inefficiencies in our processes and methodologies and actively work to correct them
- Work with client- and server-side engineers to ingest new data and properly surface for regular consumption
Knowledge & Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in the data or software engineering space
- Impressive track record of being able to deliver on complex projects, solid project management skills and attention to detail
- SQL and working knowledge of relational databases
- NoSQL data stores like MongoDB and Cassandra
- Various programming languages (Scala, Python, R, Pig, etc.)
- Various infrastructure technologies (AWS, Spark, Kafka, Hive, etc.)
Skills & Ability:
- Hands-on experience in architecting and developing efficient data pipelines
- Experience with ETL best practices and data modeling
- Flexibility and comfort working in a dynamic organization with minimal documentation and process
- Self-starter able to make an impact with little guidance
- Top notch written and verbal communication skills
- Keen interest in the health and fitness, wellness and technology industries
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Director of Security
Branch Metrics, Redwood City, Ca
Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Developer
Zype, New York, NY
Client Platform Engineer - Windows
Senior Full Stack Engineer - Partner Environment
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Lead Software Engineer
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Team Lead, MongoDB Enterprise Tools
MongoDB, New York City