Senior Java Software Engineer
Fitbit, Romania - Bucharest
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90mm devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Senior Java Software Engineer who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. A strong person to push distributed architectures and full stack solutions beyond the limits and deliver best-in-class solutions. Someone who looks beyond patching existing systems, and has the vision to re-envision them to suit our needs. Being a player in a global team, you will take ownership on critical pieces of our system and participate in all aspects of product development starting from feature analysis and estimation, continuing with the architecture design, testing, deployment and monitoring.
We expect you to have experience at designing, building and maintaining systems at large scale based on Java.
About The Teams
The Software Engineering organisation in Bucharest has several teams addressing different aspects of the business. In any of these teams, you will be able to contribute to world class developed applications.
The Device Software Comms team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the communication stack between Fitbit devices and mobile. Our work is focused around delivering a powerful and easy to use communication API over Bluetooth which enables other Fitbit teams to deliver a world class experience for our customers.
The App Platform team is responsible for all core infrastructure used across the Fitbit services. Our goal is to allow the feature teams to do what they do best, which is build features. We will provide the components, frameworks, libraries and services for logging, RPCs, message queues, metrics gathering, caching and many more.
- Experience with Microservices
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Solid understanding of the full web technology stack and a broad knowledge Java
- Experienced in architecture design of high available web applications, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Familiar with high traffic, scalable web applications. We are actively managing more than tens of million active users
- Experience working with databases (SQL and/or NoSQL technologies)
- Familiar with any of the following message queues systems: Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Good knowledge in tuning servers for high throughput, JVM internals
- Always up to date with the latest technologies
- Interested in working closely across a variety of teams including product management, product designers and backend engineers
- Familiar with TDD, BDD
- Ability to technically mentor colleagues
- Familiar in agile and scrum methodologies
- Good English speaker and communication skills
- Experience with Kafka, Apache Mesos and Cassandra is a plus
- Experience with NodeJS
- Experience in working with containers: Docker
- Experience in working with CGP, AWS
- Experience with frontend frameworks: Ember, Angular, ReactJS
In Fitbit’s Engineering organisation, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organisation stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, colour, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Lead, Data Science Engineering
DraftKings, Boston, MA