Core Platform Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Francisco, US - Boston
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction. Site operations major focus is site availability while, at the same time, enabling rapid site improvement.
What you'll work with:
Our application stack is based mostly in Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python. The major components we use daily are Ubuntu/Linux, MySQL, Redis, Neo4j, Solr, logstash, Kibana, Graphite, collectd, StatsD, Nagios, Tomcat, Fabric, Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Cassandra, Puppet, HAProxy, Nginx and Ansible. We leverage mostly externally hosted bare metal servers, with some virtualization thrown into the mix.
An excellent candidate will demonstrate existing knowledge in a number of the tools we use as well as an ability to both teach others and learn new skills.
- Develop and design software automation and tooling to drive efficiencies and help us scale core infrastructure that our key services are built upon.
- Develop and design process and documentation as we hand off completed toolchains to other teams to operate and utilize.
- Coordinate and assist other teams on-boarding to new infrastructure options.
- Ensure product lifecycle needs are met and understood.
- Raise organizational awareness through effectively measuring key metrics and improving dashboards.
- 5+ years of experience in operations supporting data center level needs
- Proficiency in python
- Proficient in linux system administration and operational needs (puppet, ansible, debian packaging, bazel, jenkins)
- Demonstrated skill in automating operational needs and developing tools at scale
- Communication - able to present and collaborate, moving from ideas to identifying key needs and actions
- Documentation - lay out action plans, create processes to drive efficiency and consistency, etc, etc, etc.
- Detail oriented to ensure both operational and organizational needs are met.
- Self motivated and driven to succeed.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively via video conferencing.
- Flexibility in dealing with geographically diverse team members.
- Exceptional communication and organization skills.
- The ability to self-serve and learn quickly with a driver personality.
- Highly analytical and able to extract key insights from data and communicate them effectively to stakeholders.
- Skilled at planning and executing simultaneous projects and activities. Ability to prioritize and keep complicated projects moving forward.
- Willingness to travel to occasionally and effectively communicate with internal teams.
- History of relevant open source contributions a plus.
- Deep understanding of operational needs in a linux environment full of open source software.
- Ability to problem solve and help the organization move from where we are to future successes.
- Thrive in an evolving operational environment, responding to occasional unexpected production level issues.
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.