Software Engineer, Data Storage
Fitbit, Romania - Bucharest
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the Data Storage team:
The Data Storage Team is responsible for the core data storage infrastructure at Fitbit. Our mission is to build scalable systems that reliably and efficiently manage Fitbit’s data.
We research, build and maintain horizontally scalable data storage systems and services to provide easy way to store any data for building various product features. We are constantly revising storage requirements as well as planning capacity to ensure that we can support our rapidly growing user base.
Additionally, we help other engineering teams apply best practices in using and building efficient storage solutions.
What You’ll Work On
- Core data storage infrastructure including sharding system, id generation, time series service, data migration frameworks
- Design, evaluate, build and deploy real-time data storage systems and services for user facing features
- Provide consulting for other teams on how to best utilize our evolving data storage infrastructure
- Scale our data storage systems to meet the growing demands of our ever increasing user base
- 5+ year experience as software engineer
- Strong Java knowledge
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)
- Experience with large-scale real-time distributed data storage systems (e.g. Cassandra, DynamoDB, Manhattan, etc)
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and framework internals
- Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely
- Ability to think creatively about solutions with a focus on the long term stability of our systems
- A willingness to participate in the team’s production on-call rotation.
- Experience in building storage engines, especially for time series data
- Experience with caching systems (e.g. Memcached, Redis)
- Any experience in SOA, DBA, DevOps, SiteOps
- Familiarity with asynchronous messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Multi-DC, Active-Active systems, Geo-sharding
About our stack
- Java, Python
- Tomcat, Hibernate, Spring
- MySQL, Neo4J, Cassandra, Kafka, ActiveMQ
- Solr/Lucene, Elasticsearch
- Memcached, Redis
- JUnit, Selenium, Jenkins, Fabric
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit https://www.fitbit.com/
Jobs You May Like
Full Stack Developer
CB Insights, New York
Cloud and Infrastructure Principal
ThoughtWorks, North America
Aura Frames, Lower East Side, New York
Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Dropbox, Seattle, WA
Senior Automation Engineer-Data Platform
PlayStation, San Diego, CA
Red Ventures, South Charlotte