Principal UX Researcher - Behavior Change
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world.
Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit is looking for a Principal UX Researcher to lead research that will help shape our current and future app experiences, guiding our users on their personal health journey!
You’ll be expected to drive high profile and large scale user research projects, as well as suggest strategic user research and thought leadership initiatives that have a systemic impact across our products. As a Principal Researcher, you will also be expected to guide and mentor other researchers on the team.
Our UX Research team conducts generative, formative and evaluative research studies that enable product and design teams to make more informed, confident decisions.
What you’ll work on:
- Act in a consultative and advisory role to various levels and functions within the design and product teams to identify research topics and plan research initiatives for both generative and evaluative purposes
- Promote and manage strategic user research initiatives and mentor other UX researchers
- Manage projects end to end: develop scripts and screeners, moderate, analyze, synthesize and deliver results
- Conduct research using a wide variety of qualitative methods and a subset of quantitative methods, such as surveys
- Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways; tailor research findings to suit the audience, varying levels of detail and complexity as appropriate/required
- Package insights into design tools and assets for product managers and designers to leverage (personas, design principles, scenarios, etc., as appropriate)
- Support project team members in transforming research findings and insights into innovative design solutions, often through multiple design cycles.
Who you are:
Our ideal candidate will have a background in behavior change and experience with a broadly used consumer facing product. The right candidate will be an excellent communicator, knowledgeable about UX and UI design, passionate about helping people, comfortable in a flat, fast moving organization, an excellent collaborator, and highly motivated by the challenge of helping improve Fitbit’s design.
- 8+ years experience in applied product research
- Domain expertise in behavior change
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Command of a broad set of qualitative and user-centered design methods
- Basic understanding of quantitative, behavioral analysis and statistical concepts
- Excellent communication skills, with strong ability to synthesize and communicate ideas visually, verbally, and in writing
- Experience creating research deliverables (frameworks, video deliverables, infographics, etc.)
Nice to haves:
- PhD or MA/MS in Behavioral Science, HCI, Psychology, Social Science or a related field
- Workshop planning and facilitation experience
- International research experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.