Senior Mechanical Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
What you’ll do:
We are looking for an experienced Senior/Lead Mechanical Design Engineer to drive the mechanical development of our products. In this strongly technical role, you will oversee the development of Fitbit products to ensure function, mechanical robustness, manufacturability, time to market, and cost goals are met. Additionally, you will lead ODM/CM/JDM resources. You will see the big picture while also paying close attention to details. You will create development plans backed by data, and orchestrate a team to execute said plans. You will drive decision making amidst ambiguity and competing priorities in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of the company. You will have the opportunity to make an impact on the products we develop and have ownership of the mechanical design of an entire product.
- Integrate with cross-functional teams to create high quality products that delight our customers.
- Provide technical oversight of the mechanical development by leading a team of mechanical engineers.
- Identify, delegate and track tasks.
- Ownership of the mechanical product architecture.
- Identify analysis (FEA, TA, etc.) and prototyping needs required to enable predictable and successful system builds.
- Facilitate the appropriate use of design reviews.
- Collaborate with local and overseas engineering and manufacturing teams to qualify tooling and define visual quality requirements.
- Ensure thorough documentation of studies and design decisions.
- Contribute to the success and development of individuals on the project team by defining clear expectations, providing timely and specific feedback, and holding others accountable.
- Contribute to the evolution of the Fitbit design process.
- BS in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, related discipline, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 2+ year of experience leading engineering teams and successfully bringing high volume, consumer oriented, electro-mechanical products to mass production.
- 5+ years of experience in designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on highly cosmetic plastic/elastomer molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, MIM, etc.).
- 5+ years experience working with overseas suppliers and ODM/CM/JDM partners, specifically designing and ramping high volume parts and assemblies.
- Expertise in the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as display assemblies, batteries, and antenna.
- Expertise in the areas of: Tolerance Analysis, Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, FEA, Thermal Design, DFMEA, DFA, etc.
- Expertise in 3D MCAD, Creo preferred.
- Highly motivated to teach, learn, and contribute.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit https://www.fitbit.com/
Jobs You May Like
Executive Project Manager (w/m)
Cloud Front End Intern
PlayStation, Aliso Viejo, CA
Front End Forward Deployed Software Engineer, New Grad
Palantir Technologies, Washington, D.C.
Software Engineer - Desktop Platform
Dropbox, Seattle, WA
LeagueApps, Arlington, VA
Software Engineer, Traffic
Pinterest, San Francisco