Senior Packaging Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
What we are about:
Fitbit empowers and inspires you to lead a healthier, more active life. We design health and fitness products and experiences that fit seamlessly into your life — because achieving your goals comes from what you do every day. We give you the insights and encouragement to make smart choices, to see how small everyday changes add up to big results.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for a Senior Packaging Engineer to own packaging across multiple platforms. You will partner cross functionally to lead the design, development and qualification of new packaging for unreleased products. You will be responsible for assessing risks, identifying opportunities and helping to develop packaging that will win in the market. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of the company. You will have the opportunity to make an impact on the products we develop and have ownership of the packaging across multiple products.
The successful candidate will be a results oriented self-starter. You will combine an organized technical approach with creative thinking and will deliver novel solutions that delight our customers. You realize that a great out of box experience is the required first step in our customer’s satisfaction. You are familiar with all manufacturing processes involved in producing our packaging, and you have worked directly with suppliers in troubleshooting tools and processes. You want to work in an exciting, fast paced environment where the impact of your work in immediately evident in our shipping products. You are forward looking and prioritize what needs to be done over any phase of a project and can re-prioritize as necessary.
- You will own complete new packaging programs - plan and direct the design, prototyping, testing and delivery of all packaging components. This includes design reviews, 1st article inspections, laboratory (vibration, thermal, compression, drop, etc.) testing, troubleshooting, and manufacturing release.
- You will develop consistent architecture for select sub-systems to be used across multiple programs.
- Provide on-site launch support at suppliers to validate packaging meets program requirements. Monitor supplier conformance. Provide rapid response to issues as they arise.
- Consult suppliers, along with Supply Chain and PD teams, to optimize cost, schedule, and performance.
- Effectively collaborate with other functions within the company to ensure the successful release of a stream of high quality packages to the marketplace.
- Effectively document project plans and share summaries within the organization and leadership effectively.
- Contribute to the evolution of Fitbit Packaging Processes
- Mentor and develop junior engineers
Experience and Qualifications:
- Theoretical and technical expertise of packaging materials – paper based (flexible, paperboard and corrugated) and otherwise (thermoform trays, plastic injected carriers).
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Successful history working with high volume suppliers to deliver quality solutions to the market. Experience with Asia suppliers strongly desired.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve project goals and contribute positively to the engineering community
- Ability to set own priorities and to work independently and effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of independence
- Proficient in Artios, Tops/Cape and MS Office. Experience with 3D CAD, Creo preferred.
- BS degree in technical field
- 5+ years of packaging experience
- International travel up to 25%
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit https://www.fitbit.com/
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineering Manager
PlayStation, Los Angeles, CA
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer, Test and Simulation
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Director of GRC - IT Security Team
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Working Student iOS Developer
Senior Solutions Engineer
Slack, San Francisco