Site Reliability Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for the pulse of the software ecosystem. We monitor and improve the system and suggest improvements for implementation by others. The name of the game is automating our job, because hiring linearly with our traffic growth is unsustainable. We are involved in incident and change management. We also act as consultants for engineers when new code and services are getting ready to launch.
- Detective: SREs handle problems in live production systems, both on their own and in collaboration with systems and application engineers.
- Ambassador: Keep the company informed about the status of Fitbit services, the impact of known issues, and the progress of ongoing investigations.
- Developer: Design and refactor parts of the Fitbit backend system for stability and performance, and write tools and scripts to automate maintenance and monitoring tasks.
- Coach: Meet with other teams and attend architecture reviews, and offer advice on how to implement features that are efficient, highly available, and fault-tolerant.
- You have 3+ years of experience as a software engineer, site reliability engineer, or operations engineer
- You're very comfortable with the Java language and ecosystem
- You can work independently with limited supervision
- You can communicate effectively with peers and to tailor your communication to your audience
- You have a willingness to dive in and assist coworkers when incidents arise
- You're willing to participate in the team’s production on-call rotation
- Some familiarity with Python and its ecosystem
- Expertise in concurrency and multi-threaded code (particularly in Java)
- Experience working with high-traffic, scalable web applications and services
- Experience building, deploying, and operating your own web service
- Experience being part of an on-call rotation and responding to production incidents
- Experience with one or more of the technologies in our stack (or similar technologies):
- OS: Linux
- Languages: Java, Python
- Frameworks: Hibernate, Spring, Finagle, Finatra, Thrift
- Databases: MySQL, Cassandra
- Messaging: Kafka
- Caching: Memcached, Redis
- Logging and Monitoring: Prometheus, Graphite, StatsD, Nagios, Logstash, Kibana
- Other: Aurora/Mesos, Tomcat, Elasticsearch, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer - Rails - Compliance Platform
Green Bits, San Jose, CA
Sr. Manager, Global Network Operations
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, MA, USA
Mobile Growth Manager
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey
Backend Engineer - Infrastructure
Education Quality Assurance Analyst
Prodigy Game, Burlington, Ontario
Senior Enterprise Account Executive
Skillz, San Francisco