Site Reliability Engineer
Fitbit, Romania - Bucharest
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the team
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for the pulse of the software ecosystem. They monitor the system, improve the system themselves, and suggest improvements for implementation by other engineers. The name of the game is automating your job, because hiring linearly with our traffic growth is unsustainable. They are involved in incident management and change management. They are consultants for engineers when new products and services are brought online.
Responsibilities/What you’ll work on
- Detective: SREs troubleshoot problems in live production systems, both on their own and in collaboration with systems and application engineers.
- Ambassador: Keep the company informed about the status of Fitbit services, the impact of known issues, and the progress of ongoing investigations.
- Developer: Design and refactor parts of the Fitbit backend system for stability and performance, and write tools and scripts to automate maintenance and monitoring tasks.
- Coach: Meet with other teams and attend architecture reviews, and offer advice on how to implement features that are efficient, highly available, and fault-tolerant.
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer, SRE, or operations engineer
- Comfortable with the Java or Python programming language and ecosystem
- Very comfortable using and administering Linux servers
- Inclined for deep understanding of how systems, libraries, tools work, as opposed to just using them
- Experience with running, monitoring and supporting production systems
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers and to tailor your communication to your audience
- A willingness to teach, guide and lead other engineers
- A willingness to dive in and assist coworkers when incidents arise
- A willingness to participate in the team’s production on-call rotation
- BSc. in Computer Science
- Expertise in concurrency and multi-threaded code (particularly in Java)
- Experience working with high-traffic, scalable web applications and services
- Experience building, deploying, and operating your own web service
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarity with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef or Ansible (we use Puppet and Ansible)
- Experience developing and shepherding processes around change and incident management
- Knowledge of the administration and/or performance tuning of MySQL or Cassandra
- Experience with one or more of the technologies in our stack (or similar technologies):
- OS: Linux
- Frameworks: Hibernate, Spring, Finagle, Finatra, Thrift
- Messaging: Kafka
- Caching: Memcached, Redis
- Logging and Monitoring: Prometheus, Graphite, StatsD, Nagios, Logstash, Kibana
- Other: Aurora/Mesos, Tomcat, Elasticsearch, Terraform
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit Fitbit's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Development Engineer - Web
Hotstar, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Software Engineer, Growth
Box, Redwood City Office
Software Engineer - Back End
Eventbrite, Nashville, Tennessee
Senior Software Engineer, Backend
MyFitnessPal, Austin, TX
Software QA Intern
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA