Senior NPI Manufacturing Engineer - SMT
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Stay motivated and improve your health by tracking your activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Develops and improves SMT and PCBA manufacturing processes and product quality by studying product and manufacturing methods. Brings new HW designs to market.
Reporting to the Director of NPI Manufacturing, the position will be responsible for making improvements in terms of cost, quality, and lead time to the SMT and PCBA processes which meet customer and business requirements. This includes developing, implementing, and sustaining manufacturing systems that prevent quality problems through capable and controlled processes. He/She must be able to perform in and contribute to a team environment with good interpersonal skills. Identify potential issues with the PCBA and SMT processes in new designs and ensure steps are taken to mitigate those potential issues Successful candidates must be comfortable with activities related to the design, manufacturing, and reliability of our electronic embedded systems. In many instances, this position must represent Operations with respect to product quality, process capability, and performance.
What you'll work on:
- Define, measure and drive process controls
- Champions DFx Mfg. activities for new HW programs - Provide early DFM to Design team and ensure new products are manufacturable.
- Participate in design reviews to conduct DFM and DFT recommendations with innovative and cost effective solutions.
- Optimize and configure processes and equipment for building surface mount electronics assemblies.
- Facilitate a close relationship with Engineering during design, build, and test to provide design feedback.
- Support a team to uncover root-cause and develop a permanent resolution on issues found during PCBA assembly.
- Utilize lean six sigma tools to recommend improvements in production methods, standards, tooling, equipment, layout, procedures, product designs and employee efficiency.
- Support the transition of engineering projects from development to volume production.
- Apply knowledge of industry level practices to improve performance
- Sustain continuous assessment of program implementation of systems, policies, and procedures to ensure the highest standards of efficiency and impact on the business
- Perform design of experiments to optimize manufacturing process yield.
- Specify equipment requirements for new build processes.
- Provide daily/weekly/monthly progress reports for the plant.
- Monitor metrics in the work area. Takes appropriate and timely action when metrics indicate downward trends or fall below acceptable limits.
- Continuous Improvement: Learn, understand and apply LEAN Six Sigma tools; participate and support continuous improvement projects; maintain organized work area using 5S; utilize lean manufacturing tools such as KAS, 5S, TPM and other continuous process improvement tools.
- Observes and quantifies field related issues with product, implementing changes to product and process which correct issue. Monitors corrective results.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes, implementing and initiating change control processes relating to PCBA and SMT technologies
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides manufacturing engineering information by answering questions and requests. Presents information to cross functional team when required.
- Maintains and improves product and processes quality by writing process control, contributing DFx for new design and monitoring product yields in production, initiating controls where necessary.
- Requires International travel to supplier sites.
- Completes design and development projects by training and guiding production staff.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Skills/Qualifications: Dealing with Complexity, Informing Others, Leadership, Supervision, Hardware Specifications, Manufacturing Methods and Procedures, Manufacturing Quality, Component Engineering, Product Development, Presenting Technical Information, PLM, CAD, CAD/CAM Circuit Design.
Who you are:
- Experience with DFx for printed circuit assemblies
- Experience with Valor or similar DFx tool
- JMP, Minitab & Six Sigma experience a plus.
- Basic understanding of adhesives, glue, PSA’s and VHB’s a plus.
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering
- Expertise in recommending design or test methods and statistical process controls for achieving required levels of product quality & reliability
- Accomplished at supporting manufacturing automation in the SMT arena
- Detailed knowledge of Statistical Techniques (such as DMAIC, Cp/Cpk, MSA, Risk Analysis, Design of Experiments), SPC and ISO9000 framework
- Must be self-motivated with ability to change direction and manage multiple priorities and tasks on a regular basis
- Strong communication skills are essential to motivate others and set operational objectives daily
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Electrical/Mechanical/Industrial Engineering or related field
- 3-5 yrs related experience 3+ years of experience in automotive, consumer and/or medical electronics manufacturing
- 3+ years of experience working with six-sigma, Kaizen and/or 5S techniques to improve manufacturability
- Black Belt Lean Six Sigma Certification desired
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We're a passionate team dedicated to health and fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. While health can be serious business, we feel it doesn't have to be. We believe you're more likely to reach your goals if you're encouraged to have fun, smile, and feel empowered along the way.
Want to learn more about Fitbit? Visit https://www.fitbit.com/
Jobs You May Like
Mobile Engineer, Product
Wish, San Francisco, United States
Software Engineer (New Grad)
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer - Media Cloud Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Senior Frontend Engineer - Member Contact Platform
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Senior Front End Engineer